Chapter One

Earth, 9 p.m. at a nondescript gas station...

The clock over on the opposite side was an interesting point to stare at for Jennie Wardson. She had been at work now for a little over an hour. They called her in early because the worker getting sick. Which she needed the money, but being here meant she had to miss her favorite show, The Invaders From R'Xame. It was a new Sci-Fi drama that was holding everyone's attention. At least from the forums and blogs she visited daily.

Yes, she was a sci-fi nerd. She loved watching shows about distant planets, spaceships, and more. She didn't talk about these things around her co-workers often. They thought she was weird enough without her telling them about all the new sci-fi shows on TV.

Flipping her long, brown hair with blond highlights over her shoulders, she focused her attention outside of the gas station. It was a quiet night. No drunks, drug dealers, or even the occasional broken-down vehicle in sight. How boring.

She stretched her arms above her head and then looked over at the cigarettes she counted already. Grumbling she looked at the inventory sheets and all the stock she counted earlier. There was nothing left to do other than do a bit of cleaning before the next shift. So, she sat there on the stool and contemplated her place of work.

Jennie didn't know how her bosses kept this place open 24 hours a day, but they did. Sometimes she likes to pretend it was all a government cover-up and the gas station is a meeting place for aliens.

Jennie snorted softly at her thoughts and tried not to laugh. Yeah right, a place for meeting aliens. I am hopeless.

Her mother always told her she had her head in the clouds way too much and begged her, before she died, not to move out to such a rustic place. Jennie being herself and young, paid no heed. Like every young person wanting to spread their wings, she thought she knew what she was doing. Now, her parents were dead and she was all alone.

It wasn't so bad most days. After all, she didn't have a boyfriend to worry about or be at home at a certain time. But, every once in a while, she thought of her mom and her pleas not to leave. Especially at times like these. All alone, at night, and out in the middle of fucking nowhere.

The gas station was out in the middle of a tiny community and the closest house was about three miles away in either direction. The next closest gas station was about twenty miles away in either direction as well. There was nothing around but trees and more trees. She thought the quiet town would be perfect. But, this place didn't even qualify as a town. Maybe a reclusive village. Maybe.

Sighing to herself, Jennie got up from her stool, grabbed a nearby broom, and began to sweep the floor. It looks like it is going to be a long, boring night.

* * *

Tnari, around noon at the border between Western and Eastern Lani...

"You can not blame Khuri Vorta my Prime," Andan said quietly to his best friend who was currently storming away from the place where just moments ago the seer re-affirmed the prophecy that was given just three moon cycles ago.

Prime Ignes ignored his best friend and Second. He was upset that a female who was non-Tnarian was to be his mate. Stopping for just a moment to mount his Doshoua, which looked like a cross between an Earth horse and iguana, he looked over at his friend and spat, "I know Andan, but I was hoping for a Tnarian female. Not some Earthling. Why Earth of all places? Aren't they a primitive species?"

"You know that the Goddess's of the Biomes only choose the best for their Primes and Kranxu. I think it is wise my friend not to question Goddess Lani's choice again. You may receive her wrath on the third Vini. Besides, you know when you see your female if she is your true mate. If not, then let's pray to the Goddess Lani that she shall pick you another," the dark-eyed male said before mounting his own Doshoua.

The Doshoua were slightly hairy beasts with scaly-like skin beneath long, stringy hair. They made great battle beasts and mounts for long distances. Due to their high strength and stamina. The species was one of the few tamed beasts on the planet Tnari. The males of the Doshoua were often brightly colored and the females were more subdued in color. So, during battles, the females were chosen and during times of peace or festivals, males were ridden.

Today, both Tnarians were riding males. Ignes's male was an electrifying green with flecks of pale blue on the lower four limbs. Where Andan's male was a rosy pink with white brindle markings running down all four legs.

Ignes pondered his friend's words a moment before he spoke, "That is all well and good, but today I was told that I am to take the portal to Earth and retrieve my mate. It appears she is alone. What type of people leaves a female alone? Do they not fear for her safety?"

He ran a hand through his short, silver mohawk before clicking his teeth and got his mount to move. Andan shortly followed and made his mount keep pace with his friend's.

"Then it is a good day my friend. You shall have your mate and save her from potential danger! I think we should celebrate upon returning home," the dark-haired male said happily before clapping his friend roughly on the back.

Ignes almost lost his balance before righting himself and then he glared over at his friend. He said nothing but urged his mount faster and in the direction of the Unan or commonly known as a portal. During ancient times, the first people referred to portals as Unan or "passing gates". Now, many years later, the Tnarian race just calls them portals.