《Three》

Lana tucked into the stew with a deep, gnawing hunger in her small stomach.  She quickly finished her bowl. "M-more, please." Greta smiled down at Lana. "You can have as much as you want, Sweetheart." Greta poured a ladle of stew into Lana's bowl.

       Lana made quick work of her second bowl. And her third, fourth, fifth, and six. Greta chuckled and wiped the stew from Lana's mouth with a napkin. "I take it that you like my stew, Hun?" Lana nodded, a wide grin on her features. "The best I've ever had!"

       Greta's heart was warmed by the eight year-old. "How about you stay here with us, Lana? Gunther can be your older brother." "Really?" Lana asked, the excitement clear in her voice. "Yes, really." "Yay!" Lana took off back towards where she met Greta.

       When she saw Gunther, she jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly. "Whoa!" Gunther nearly lost his balance. "Greta?" Greta Gator turned to her older brother. "Yes?" "What did you say to that girl to get her so excited?" "I told her that she could stay with us, and that Gunther could be her new brother."

       Grady chuckled. "She sure has grown attached to him, hasn't she?" "Yep. Just like all of us have grown attached to her." "Yay! Gunther's my new brother!" Lana cheered, nuzzling into the boy's shoulder. Gunther smiled and stroked Lana's hair. "Well then, Sugar, let's go get you a room."

-------------------------

       Lana sat in Gunther's lap as he played the piano. "Can you teach me how to play one day, Gunther?" Lana asked, pulling her puppy eyes. Gunther chuckled. "Of course I can, Lana. I'd do anything for my little sister."

Ring! Ring!

       Lana peeked over Gunther's shoulder. "We have visitors," she whispered, staring at the group of four people and one dog standing at the reception desk. "Gunther! Lana! Come meet our guests!"

       Gunther climbed to his feet with Lana clinging to his pant leg. "Well, hello there," Gunther said. Lana giggled at his accent. "And you must be Lana." Lana hid behind Gunther's leg as a redhead approached her. She peered out from her hiding place. Her eyes sparkled. "Puppy!"

       Lana hugged the brown-and-black dog, a smile etched onto her face. "Herro there." Lana gasped. "You can talk?! You're so cute and amazing!" Lana squealed, hugging the dog again. "Looks like Scooby has a fan." "So your name is Scooby?" Scooby nodded and licked Lana's cheek.

       "Sorry to tell you this, but there are NO PETS IN THE HOTEL!" "Sorry, Scoob. You're going to have to wait outside." Lana whimpered in disappointment. "Goodnight, Scooby." "Roodnight, Rana."

--------------------

       Scooby yelped and hid under a blanket as lightning cracked and thunder roared in the stormy night sky. One of the van's doors creaked open. "Who's rere?!" A dark figure began climbing into the back where Scooby was. "R-R-Raggy? Relma? Raphney? Reddy?"

       "Hi, Scooby!" Lana hugged Scooby tightly, dropping her flashlight and sleeping bag. "Rana? Ry rid you rome outride?" (Lana? Why did you come outside?) "To keep you company, of course!" Scooby smiled and licked Lana's face. "...Hey, Scooby?" "Reah?" "Can I tell you a secret? A super duper secret that you can't tell anyone?" "Rof rourse, Rana." (Of course, Lana.)

       Lana lifted the back of her shirt. Lightning illuminated the inside of the van. Scooby gasped. Scars littered the child's back. "Rho rid ris to rou, Rana?" (Who did this to you, Lana?) "...my old foster family."

       "You see, the Gators took me in one night when I ran away from my horrible old foster family. If I hadn't met Gunther, I'd probably still be down in their cold, dark, and dank basement, rotting away more and more after each torture session." Lana hugged Scooby tightly, as if he would disappear the moment she let go.

       "Rit's oray, Rana." Lana only clung to Scooby tighter, tears streaming down her pale cheeks. "Don't let my old family get me, Scooby. They'll kill me if they ever get their hands on me again." Scooby licked Lana's face in comfort as the eight year-old snuggled into his side. "Ron't rorry, Rana. Ri'll rorect rou." (Don't worry, Lana. I'll protect you.)