{sixteen}

The police station stank of burnt coffee and fear. Justin shifted down on the metal folding chair, then stretched out his legs and crossed his ankles while trying to hold his arms still so the handcuffs wouldn't chafe.

He'd been waiting for over an hour for Chief Kagawa to come in and ream him. All the deputies would tell him was that Kagawa wanted to question him about a local robbery. Justin fought against panic. Questioning meant he was a suspect, but he hadn't taken so much as a Tic Tac that didn't belong to him since he'd been in town. Surely they'd determine that quickly and he'd be on his way. But as another hour ticked by, he had to wonder if Kagawa had left him there to cool his jets as some sort of strategy.

Justin gripped the unforgiving edge of the metal cuffs as he watched the deputies begin another game of paper-triangle football. If he had to sit in an office all day with these meatbags, his head would explode. The extent of their excitement in the last two hours had been booking a street performer for disturbing the peace and panhandling. No wonder Kagawa followed him around like a hound dog on a family of rabbits.

But as the phones quieted and the paper triangle rested on the corner of a desk, Justin's thoughts journeyed down a twisted path to a memory he'd tried hard to avoid. The last time he'd been in this station had been the worst night of his life.

"A boy is dead! Because of you . . ." Kagawa leans forward into his face. "We have three witnesses, Mr. Bieber. Admit it and this will all be over soon."

The image of Daniel, head smashed on the rocks, blood everywhere, his neck at a grotesque angle, dominates Justin's vision, blocking out the three sets of eyes drilling into him. Without hesitation, even though it was too late, Justin had jumped over the falls after his friend. Screamed his name. Touched his fractured skull. Blood coating his fingers, he'd emptied his stomach in the water that rushed around him. Brayden, Colin, and Isaiah stared down from above. Silent.

Fire burns through Justin's chest, scalding his throat and leaking out of his eyes. "Yes, it was my fault." A mumble, nothing more, but enough.

The door to the small windowless room bursts open. "Are you questioning my minor client? Nothing he's said is admissible, Kagawa, and you know it!"

Justin snapped back to the present. The attorney had been wrong. Between the three witnesses who claimed Justin had pushed Daniel, their argument moments before, and his whispered confession in front of the chief, Justin's lawyer had convinced him to accept responsibility and take the plea bargain. But that guileless kid no longer existed. This time there would be no coerced admissions.

The double doors burst open, bringing a rush of cool, dry air and a flurry of dead leaves. The chief, flanked by an officer on each side, strode into the station. Justin resisted the urge to straighten in his chair. "Mr. Bieber, sorry to keep you waiting. We'll get all this business over as quickly as possible." He nodded to the deputies, who moved to stand on either side of Justin. Before they could reach him, he bent his knees and shot to his feet.

Forcing a neutral tone, Justin leveled his gaze on Kagawa. "What is it you're accusing me of, Chief?"

Kagawa's mouth flattened, but something in his eyes glittered. "Oh, not accusing, merely questioning. Didn't my men explain?" He shook his head as if shamed. "Twisted Beauty was robbed last night, and your bike was spotted parked outside."

Justin felt his jaw unhinge but snapped it closed again. He'd spent the entire weekend camped in the store, which would look pretty damning. "I'd like to call my attorney."

The chief waved a dismissive hand. "No need, son. You aren't under arrest. As I said, we're just chatting."

Justin's back locked, his eyes narrowing. He'd experienced the good chief's chats. "Then you have no right to hold me." He lifted his cuffed wrists.