The Road to Farringale: 14

The things I had in mind were not supplies, as the baron probably imagined. I still had my stash of toys from the Darrowdale expedition, and I keep a basic travel kit ready at all times because I am often sent off somewhere at a moment's notice.

No, the "things" I planned to grab in passing consisted of just the one, really. A tall, reassuringly bulky, Rob-Foster-shaped thing, to be precise.

I like Rob so much. He is so calm, and so obliging. I found him in the infirmary tending to a forlorn-looking soul with her arm in a cast. Broken bones aren't too uncommon around here, at least among those following certain fields of specialisation (mine included).

'Much as I hate to disturb you,' I said to Rob as I swept in, resembling, most likely, a small, vibrantly-coloured whirlwind, 'I have an urgent matter on hand.'

Rob acknowledged my appearance but did not answer me until he had finished whatever he was doing for the girl — I call her such because she was very young, perhaps fifteen or so. She seemed a bit too young for a Society recruit, but perhaps she was here on some kind of internship or work experience thing. We sometimes get them.

Anyway, Rob dismissed her, all calm reassurance and comforting professionalism, and the girl — Indian, at a guess, and very smartly dressed — went away looking less forlorn.

'All right, Ves,' said Rob, taking off his doctor's coat. 'What may I do for you?'

'Jay and I are going to Farringale,' I told him.

'Ah.'

Unflappable, Rob. 'Nobody's been there in centuries,' I added.

'Indeed.'

'Since we have no idea what we might find there, and whether or not it will prove to be friendly, I'd like to take you along with us.'

Rob looked curiously at me. 'What do you need me for?'

'I'd like your help with not dying.'

He smiled faint amusement. 'Playing the damsel? You could probably hold your own against pretty much anything, and Jay's no slouch either.'

He wasn't wrong — about me, at least; I had no real idea what Jay's abilities might be. Anybody taking up my line of work with the Society is obliged to take a rigorous series of courses in what Milady, by way of adorable euphemism, terms "the Direct Arts". And while I am no prodigy by any means, I can be plenty direct when I need to be. I'm still breathing, aren't I? And believe me, Milady has thrown me at all manner of risky adventures down the years.

However.

'It's the "probably" part that bothers me,' I answered. 'And I'll have Jay with me. He is something of a protege and I do not want to have to admit to Milady that I got him sliced up and made into mincemeat.' Particularly when the mission was unauthorised in the first place.

'I'm surprised Milady didn't think of sending me along,' said Rob, brows slightly raised in mild enquiry.

People are too sharp around here by half. 'She doesn't know we're going,' I told him. I mean, why bother lying? 'Actually, she outright forbade it. But House disagrees, so we're going anyway.'

Rob absorbed this in stoic silence, his gaze on me thoughtful. 'All right,' he said, to my relief. 'You can explain the rest on the way.'

I gave him my best, absolutely my sunniest smile, and my most exquisite curtsey too. 'You are a gentleman above any other, Mr. Foster.'