fourteen

Sheets were tangled between her legs, the smell of bacon lingering in the air as she awoke from a beautiful dream filled with happiness. Her eyes opened up to see the morning light dripping into her room, the curtains were slightly pulled apart to let the light peek through and it was just enough to wake her up. She yawned out lightly, loving the peace and serenity of waking up in the morning with silence greeting her. Athena slowly sat up and looked at her crib to see Drew, but panic laced through her when she saw that his crib was empty. No baby to laugh at her, no son to kiss good morning. All was left was his imprint of his body and his blankets which were neatly folded on the side. 

    She quickly rushed out of bed and out of her room in a panic, her eyes wandering around her living room to find an intruder. But, all she saw was Alejandro holding onto Drew, his arms wrapped around the small child who giggled and played with his hair as he was holding a spatula dripping with oil. It was then when the memories from her night time talks had shifted into play, she remembered curling into Alejandro's arms as he lulled her to sleep, and his strong arms carrying her into her bed and leaving her in a state of pure bliss.

    She sighed in relief and looked at the cute sight in the corner of her apartment. Alejandro was cooking something in her kitchen, a small stack of bacon placed on a plate and separate plate with three fried eggs. The smell was heavenly and the sight was beautiful too. She couldn't help but stand in her bedroom doorway, staring at the scene which made her heart clench and bubbles rising in her stomach. Alejandro was wearing what he wore last night, his hair still messy from his sleep and the tiny hands that roamed through it, he was skillfully cooking the food he prepared. Eggs and bacon and she could see the toast cooking in the toaster. Her son was giggling loudly at him as his fingers twisted in Alejandro's hair as he was talking to Drew as if he could talk back.

   Athena wished she could see this sight every morning, it was a great thing to wake up too. She wished she could be wrapped up in strong arms before she slept and she wished she could be cared for like she was being cared for. She imaged being in Alejandro's arms every morning and every night, she pictured his lips planting on her forehead and imagined growing old with him and having kids. She imagined teaching Drew how to walk with Alejandro cheering him on. She wished for all of this to happen, she longed for this sort of perfection, 

  "Oh, good morning Athena," a voice said, startling Athena who was still lost in her thoughts. She blinked twice as her thoughts were interrupted. Her eyes locked onto clear blue ones. Alejandro was giving a beaming smile as Drew stared into his mother's eyes and giggled loudly as if calling for his mother. Athena captured this moment in her mind and returned the smile.

    "Good morning, what you making?" she asked as she walked towards them, her arms out so she could carry Drew. Alejandro gave him to her swiftly.

    "Bacon, eggs and toast bread. It's not much, but I wanted to repay you for your kindness," he blushed as hs scratched the back of his neck, his ears pink from embarrassment as he stared at Athena.

    "You're really too kind, thank you. It's been a little while since I've had such a good homemade breakfast. I appreciate it," she smiled brightly as she took a peek at the delicious food which sat on the counter. Alejandro blushed a little harder as he saw her look at the food with hungry eyes.

    "I just thought you'd like some breakfast, and I'm sorry for taking Drew out of his cot. He was awake and was going to cry, I didn't want to wake you up, so I took him and just fed him some milk, I did that cool testing the milk thing," he told her, his ears turning beet red as he earned a wide and thankful smile from her.

      "Thank you, I really need the sleep, honestly, you didn't have to do that." she mumbled before blushing hard.

     "No problem, let's eat!" he cheered and waved her over as he grabbed two plates from the kitchen and onto the counter top. Athena gave a small smile, red still tainting her cheeks as she held Drew in her arms and walked over to the countertop where Alejandro was filling his plate the bacon, egg and toast. Coffee was being brewed in the machine as Alejandro took Drew from Athena's arms so she could eat.