Chapter 19 | Tunnel Talk

"Vernaya is only about twenty miles away from Ilrenia. We can make it there by sunfall if we are lucky." Ismara said.

It was about noon, and they had traveled about halfway. They were bound to reach it soon.

"You will know when we are close, dragon cities are huge compared to normal elven, dwarven, or human cities. Dragons are bigger, so they need bigger scales," Ismara explained. "And just so you know, if we ever get seperated, Wímad lives in the tallest building, third room from the top."

Arenia nodded. No one spoke after that, only continued walking to Vernaya.

When the sun started to set, they could see Vernaya in the distance. The giant buildings blocked nearly all of the dark sky, they were nearly twenty times bigger than Ilrenia's building. Compared to Vernaya, Ilrenia was a tiny speck.

"Alright, the tunnels are close. There is an entrance near here, and they are made for humans and elves and dwarves. Dragons do not even know they are there. They were constructed in secret by humans when they used to capture dragons for their scales, but other than that, let's go into the tunnel." Ismara explained.

They searched around and soon found a round metal plate in the sandy ground. Everyone surrounded it, and Agent 34 was given the honors of opening it. He pulled the metal plate off of the ground, and a ladder was revealed below it. It descended into darkness, and no one could make out what was at the bottom.

Tossing the metal disk away, Agent 34 starter to climb down the tunnel. Arenia and Ismara followed after him, throwing their bags down to Agent 34 before entering.

The tunnel was damp and humid, and very dark. Once Arenia entered, she quickly casted a spell that made the wand emit light into the tunnel. Agent 34 casted one as well, and the sword and wand illuminated their path.

"I believe I know where we are going, but it will be a few miles of walking through the tunnels." Ismara confirmed, making Agent 34 mentally groan.

Ismara led them through the long tunnels, Arenia and Agent 34 keeping up behind her. Agent 34 steadied himself and made himself walk at a slower pace, because if he walked a normal speed, a normal speed would equal a very fast run for them.

A loud scratch echoed throughout the tunnels as Ismara slipped on the stone ground. Arenia shushed her quickly, and Ismara shrugged sheepishly.

"How long should it take us?" Arenia asked Ismara.

"Normally, it only takes me about half an hour to reach Wímad's house. I don't know about it though anymore, it's been a while since I visited him."

"How exactly did you meet this Wímad?" Agent 34 asked.

"Well, it was when a large drought had affected our village and I was sent out to gather some food and water. I was nearing Vernaya, and luckily Wímad saw me when he was flying above. He landed and stopped me from entering the city, which saved my life. If I entered that city, the dragons would've eaten me alive." Ismara explained.

"Anyways, he brought me to his house in secret, and gave me enough food and water to last Ilrenia for almost three years. He let me exit the city through the tunnels, and invited me to visit every now and then." She finished her story with a cough.

"So he's a kind dragon?" Arenia blurred out.

"Correct. If he truly wanted to, he could fly us all the way to the Zena and not just past the army. He could be a huge help to the Zena, but you know, he's a little old." Ismara said, and her boot scraped against the wall as she walked.

"How old?" Agent 34 rudely asked.

"One hundred and thirteen." Ismara responded, which surprised Agent 34.

"How old are you, Agent 34? You said you could remember your age and nothing else." Arenia asked.

"17, I believe. But, Braunick could have just as easily made me believe that. If he could take my memories from me, every scrap of them, then he could just as easily place a false one in my brain." Agent 34 explained.

"True, true," Ismara said, and scratched her head a little. "I am seventeen as well."

"I am twenty-three." Arenia said.

Arenia's age surprised Agent 34. She looked way younger than twenty-three, she looked younger than Agent 34 in fact. 

"Wait, is that—" Ismara stopped in her tracks, which made Arenia and Agent 34 stop as well. Ismara looked up, and light fell onto her face from above.

"It's another tunnel entrance. And it's open," Ismara said.

"What do you mean it's open? Someone else has to have opened it!" cried Arenia.

"I'm going to go check it out," Ismara said, and started to approach the tunnel entrance.

"Don't you dare," Agent 34 blurted out. "Let me." Agent 34 shoved past Arenia and Ismara, and looked upwards to see a hole in the roof that led to the surface. The moon stared back at Agent 34, and Agent 34 muttered a spell that would lift him off the ground and into the air.

Slowly lifting himself up with spells, his head emerged over the tunnel entrance, and saw three dragons staring back at him.

"Hello." The blue one growled devilishly.

"Get him!" The brown one cried.

Agent 34 let out a terrified shriek, and his body was yanked from the hole and into the brown dragon's claws. Soon, the dragons were flying away and back to their houses to eat Agent 34.

"Apparently they do know about the tunnels!" Ismara cried.

Climbing out of the tunnel quickly and into the dragon streets, they noticed none were present and night had fallen. Most dragons were asleep. Arenia and Ismara looked up to see three dragons flying away with a terrified Agent 34 in their claws.

"We have to save him!" Arenia cried.

"Get Wímad! He can help us!" Ismara cried, and began to run in the opposite direction.

"Are you crazy? By the time we get to him, Agent 34 will be eaten alive! Forget Wímad! Forget you! I am only doing this so Renya doesn't turn into ashes!" Arenia screamed to Ismara, and ran after Agent 34 clumsily.

Tears welled in Ismara's eyes as she ran the opposite direction from Arenia. Wímad could help save them both. He could help, Ismara was sure of it. 

She pressed onward, fear slowly filling her body.