Epilogue: 6 years later

~
They went separate ways. That doesn't mean their paths won't ever cross again.
~

She looked stunning. It was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw her walking down that busy New York street. I hadn't seen her in six years and here she was looking better than any of the pictures Skylar had shown me. Her cheekbones were sharper and more defined and she looked more mature which only made her more gorgeous. My mind immediately went back to the last night her and I had spent together.

I turned into the nearest shop to clear my head and to wait. I didn't know what would happen when we would see each other, not having any contact for a person for six years and then trying to work your way back into their life was frightening to say the least. I realized I had walked into a old book shop, so I browsed the shelves and picked up a few covers that looked interesting enough. Emilia had got me hooked on reading and despite my busy job, I still made time for it.

With my thought back to Emilia, I reminded myself that I hadn't come to New York just for Emilia. Of course I was here to try win her back after Skylar told me her reason for leaving, but if she wasn't ready or she no longer felt the same for me. I would let her go.

My hand immediately went to my pocket to feel for my wallet. Professor Jones had given me her last piece of work she had written. It was the one where she had to write about me and despite it being so short, it meant the world to me so that's why I kept it in my wallet.

Whenever I thought about the day I had dropped off Emilia, my stomach dropped and all I remembered was her never telling me she loved me. She sounded angry and hurt when she screamed after me. Maybe if I had turned around and seen her face, it would have been saying something different. Trying to ignore the annoying pull at my stomach, I pulled out my wallet and got the letter: I now know what love is.

That's it took for me to know that Emilia loved me too. She didn't need to say it out loud because those six words said more than she would ever need to.

Leaving a book store empty handed was a rare and strange occurrence, but I had the best piece of work I would ever read in my hands. I often reread these words and seeing them now again, I was determined to leave the shop and find Emilia.

I just never expected to bump into her.

-

That morning when I was getting ready for work my eyes flicked to the box and letter surrounding my apartment's floor. I had spent the whole night reading all 365 letters. Each hand written for each day of the year until I would be expected back. But I think we both knew it wouldn't just be a year.

It wasn't the neatest my apartment could be, so I cleaned up a bit that the papers weren't strewn around the floor but rather left on my coffee table. I could clean it up when I got back. I had a feeling today was going to be a big day. There were whispers around the office that Markus wanted to ask me a big question today.

Arriving at work, it was obvious that people were talking about Markus's proposal. I headed straight for his office, knowing that he wanted to speak with me but also annoyed at being the center of office gossip. Markus had spoken to me briefly about it beforehand but nothing was set in stone. I knocked and walked in as soon as he answered.

"Emilia. I'm glad you're here." Markus adjusted his tie as he walked towards me. "Mind if we leave the office and go get some coffee or something. The staff all seem a bit chattier than usual and it's annoying me."