Prologue and Chapter One

Prologue

IN the beginning The Unseen One called forth the beings of the earth. First he called for The Companions; those who would spend eternity at his side. The next called forth from the elements of the Gaia were The Helpers and Tamers of the other beings – beasts and the wilder, unsavory beings. Next came the elves and the other immortals. Last came man. There were strict instructions that they were to help man, and guide them, and even protect them from themselves, but never, ever were you to expose yourself to them without cause, and above all else – never try to change their fate. It could harm their realm – and eventually the veil that separated men and Helpers (who became known as The Fae) will fall. However, not all of these Helpers kept the instructions of The Unseen One, and therefore, rumors of these mystic beings came to spread among the men. Eventually, The Veil became a mist that could be seen by men in the early part of the day, or late at night. When that happened, it was well known that the realm of The Fae, and the creatures they kept closely governed, and the stories long known as their history would fall into the realm of men. It was only a matter of time.

Oberon, wisest of all the Fae and the first made, did his best to keep The Veil from completely collapsing. But he could not hold the stories back from the curious minds of men forever... So, he chose to change them to keep The Veil intact. But he grew weary, and then history and legend became one. Not only for men, but for the Fae. Few remember the real stories; the real history of the Fae. But there are some who do. Here are some of their tales.

Part One : Morgana

Chapter 01

SHE had been told a million times that her mother's womb was blessed by Titiania herself. Blessed with the rarest of abilities, the ability to shape-shift. However, until she came of age, she was only known as the odd-eyed, red head of the isles. Her eyes, one blue, one green – were the symbol of Titiania's blessing. However, after her birth, her birth mother, had angered Titiana, and banished her to roam the lands of Galiea (or as the humans knew it Ireland and Scotland) as a spirit announcing the death of others with a soft sound of weeping, or a blood curdling scream if it were violent. The only thing the humans could hear was the sound of her mother's voice on the wind. Also as a result, all lands and titles were stripped of her father. Through the ages her family had forgotten what the misdeed was.

But today Morgana would come of age, and her full gifts would manifest themselves for good or ill. Only one ability was known to her and all whom she crossed paths with. She had ridden out to the large lake and had cautiously went to the edge of the water to peer within. She studied the long red hair, the odd eyes and the flashes of green that shot through her gown with a resigned interest. She wondered what she would change into, and how many shapes she could take. She noted that she was in fact very pretty – to some extent beautiful under the right angle of the moon.

The moon, she looked at it with an adoration she could hardly comprehend, was full and bright. As long as it existed for her to peer at she could withstand all the ages of this world – no matter what she would become. It was almost time. The minute was at hand. She looked ahead of her and seen a mist begin to cover the glassy lake. The Veil was becoming visible. Faerie Time was close. All at once the mist seemed to permeate her very being and the moon became fuller – more in tune with her. She could make out it's outlines. She could make out the ancient craters upon it with her sharp eyes. Above her, flew ravens. They perched behind her in the neighboring trees. She turned and looked back at the ravens. In one synchronized motion they all bowed their heads to her. She nodded in return. She understood. She would be able to turn into one of these ebony beauties, as well as communicate and command them.

She brought her gaze back to the water, and could see the moon shining above her. As she looked upon it, they seemed to expand out. Two half moons on either side, one shaded almost black, the other shaded red. She looked deeper into the rippling depths and seen wars. Terrible wars, and blood which she felt she herself was covered in, and she must wash out of their clothes.... her own clothes. She seen children born. She seen numerous animals and shapes. She could become male and female. All manner of creatures. She now knew what she would become. The Three. The one who tried to govern birth, mating, and death. She would be the one to wash the blood of the dead to meet the guardian of the earth, Gaia, The Mother - everyone's mother. She would be hailed as a goddess, but she knew better.

She got up, and dusted the dirt from her green dress, and looked at the moon once more. She looked down again at the water one last time as the mist swirled all around her and seen one last thing – only a glimpse of it. A red budding flower with a hint of white bathed in the moonlight. Her mouth parted in wonder. She had never seen such a flower. Petals among petals bursting with beauty and she was sure a scent. She longed to touch it, but noted in an instant the stems with thorns hidden by dark green leaves. The image faded away. The moon burned into her thoughts. But the flower she seen burned ever more. What was it? Where could she find it?