Chapter Five

Chapter 05

SHE woke up in a highly adorned bed suite. Through the sheer curtains that surrounded the bed, she seen a dress laid out on a chair nearby. Candles blazed around her to provide so much light that it appeared to be almost day. She seen a necklace on the table beside her. The jewels that were inlaid in to it would buy a thousand kingdoms of the human race, she surmised. The large diamond in the middle of it could feed 20 families for a year. She knew of human currency, but to her, and to much of her kind, jewels were just beautiful adornments... nothing more. But then, currency in the realm of the Fae was more in the lines of agriculture and abilities than in possessions.

She slid her legs out from under the heavy blankets and stepped on to a warm rug below her. She could see now that her bed rested on a dais of sorts, 3 steps up from the rest of the room. A large set of Fae moss-glass doors to one side of her room led out to a balcony. It had been left open, and as a result, the wind, which was blowing heavily due to a storm raging outside set the curtains bellowing out almost as if they wished to touch her. She sighed and went to the set of doors to close them, but found that apparently the manor had been enchanted with a dry spell. The gardens were receiving the full impact of the storm, but the rain slid off of what looked like a bubble high above her keeping the balcony dry.

Powerful magic indeed, she couldn't help but thinking to herself and turned to look back in the room.

She crossed the room to the dress and pick it up gingerly. It was white, trimmed in silver thread. She turned to look at the cushion of the chair it was draped over. A small, white note lay there that read, "Please join me for dinner."

She raised an eyebrow at this invitation. Sighing, she took the dress over to the bed, set it down, and went to another corner where she seen a basin for washing. After cleaning, she set herself to the task of dressing. The dress seemed to adjust itself to fit her as she laced it up. She picked up the necklace and held it up to the candle light.

"I would have preferred something a bit simpler, and in green to off-set the glare of the white." Yet, she unclasped it, seen a vanity with a mirror in a corner and went to it to put it on. As she held it up to place it about her neck, she seen it had changed. Her eyes grew wide as she seen the huge diamond in the middle become dark green the jewels about it smaller and more dignified. "I see.... Very lovely."

She managed to clasp it around her neck and went to the door. When she opened it she found a white pair of shoes with a small heel, and a green jewel affixed in the middle of the tops, setting there invitingly. She smiled and let out a little laugh at this, and stepped in to them. Again, as with the dress, they seemed to adjust themselves to her size and comfort.

"Which way to the dining hall?" she said to the air about her. The hall was still dark, unlit and thick with The Veil coming in from the open windows. Or was it the magic of the place? After the words left her mouth torches along the walls sprung to life on one side of the corridor. She tipped her head in an unspoken thanks, and followed the lit corridors to a closed wooden door. She clasped the handle, shuttering at the feel of cold iron on her skin and stepped inside. Torches inside lit themselves and a banquet appeared before her.

She stepped forward two steps, then heard the same light footfalls from before. When they had finally entered the room, she refused to turn around. Yet he spoke to her despite her appearance of not knowing he was there, "I know I am ugly. I also know you must hate me for bringing you to this prison. But please know, I will never do you harm Milady. I am your slave. Ask of me anything you wish, save only to release you, and it shall be yours. I vow this."