Chapter 23 ※ Levi

Chapter 23: Expedition (part 1)

"Let the 57th expedition begin!"

The walls were slowly raised up as everyone visibly swallowed their fear back down.  They knew the risk even before they joined the scouts. And this was their price to pay as a soldier to the greater good.

The sun was high in the sky with a cool breeze blowing through the area. Even with the great weather, everyone was at full attention, looking around with caution. It was more the reason that they should be.

Bushy Eyebrows had suggested that we took the long-range scouting formation, in which the regiment splits up into many other smaller groups so as to cover more ground into a shorter amount of time. Despite my strong disagreement to his plan in view that it might result in a higher chance of heavy causalities, he still went ahead with stupid ass plan. 

With an hour of riding and following the careful planned formation, the forest was finally seen just over the horizon. With everything going acceptably alright, I still had this unsettling feeling in my guts that something was amiss.

"We're out in the open! Don't make any rash decisions especially when it comes to titans. I'm talking to you Eren!"

"Sir, report!" One of the soldiers from the other group rode up to me, his face pale. "There has been an attack in the right rear. Severe losses reported! Parts of the scouting formation are no longer functioning! Please pass this to the left!"

I glanced at Petra, "You heard what he said, go!"

She gave a quick answer and diverted away from the group.

Just then, black smoke signals were shot from the other groups. Shit. An Abnormal. Great, this is just great. They managed to reach this deep into the formation. Bloody big heads just had to be annoying at this very moment. 

"Eren, you shoot!"

I glanced back at (Y/N), her hands tight on the reigns, sweat glistening down her face and her lips parched and pale; but her eyes shone with determination. it took a sudden jerk from my horse to tear me away from looking at (Y/N) and focusing on our objective.

***---***

The canopy of leaves sheltered as from the glaring sun as we entered the forest. As glad as I am for the sheltered journey ahead, it has put us at a great disadvantage in coming to taking this route. Though it may be true that it has definitely cut our journey by a day, we are taking a huge risk. The big ass trees have obstructed most of our view other than the straight path that we are currently travelling on right now. If there were any titans in the area, we will not be able to prepare ourselves since they would have the element of surprise with them. Even with the trees around us serving as a good leverage for us to escape from danger if there ever was any, there was still a good chance that someone would get hurt.

And on person hurt is one too many. 

Well, Bushy Eyebrows didn't want to listen, now did he. If any of the troops get hurt, it's gonna be on him. 

"Captain Levi," the brat's voice broke the repetitive pounding of the hooves against the floor, "we're entering the forest with the center formation, and the titan seems to be coming from the right. So, how will we dodge the titan or protect the carts at the center at the same time?"

Stupid brat can't even use his tiny ass brain to shut his goddamn mouth up. "Look around you, brat. All the big ass trees. It's the perfect environment to use the 3DMG. Now, I want you to think why we are here." 

I know that might not be the best answer, but it's as good as I can do for now because even I do not know exactly why Bushy Eyebrows had to choose this particular path even after the many arguments brought up by the rest of the team.

Just what is he actually thinking?