[27] Nighttime Talk

*Astrid's POV*

        "Why do you think he's still so upset?" I asked Stormfly, who is currently curled up beside me. We are sitting out in front of my house, looking up at the night sky sparkling with stars. For some reason, I couldn't catch some sleep. So now I'm out here, looking up at the night sky.

        Stormfly responds to my earlier comment, letting out a small squawk as she shifted her wings in a shrug. I let out a sigh as I look towards Hiccup's house, (Y/N) had trained on his own after he yelled at us. Every time Caroline or I came near, Cobalt would drop what he was doing and grow a warning at us. Going as far as sticking to (Y/N)'s side to keep us away. (Y/N) did nothing about it, but still talked to everyone else.

        "I just don't get why he's acting that way," I thought aloud, turning back to look at the sky. Stormfly lets out a gurgle that sounds like a grumble. "...Why all guys act that way," I sigh sadly. I look back up to admire the vast midnight color with the quarter moon hanging up in the sky.  Trying to distract myself from negative thoughts. Stars sparkle like icicles on a endless ceiling, while a peaceful breeze blows through the air.

         Suddenly, a shadow of a dragon blocks out some of the moon's light, before it starts to get closer. Stormfly lifts up her head and tilts it in the direction of the approaching shadow in curiosity. Soon, the silhouette of the one and only Nightfury came into focus. I immediately recognized the dragon as the moon's white light shone on navy blue, almost black, colored scales, along with a familiar face riding his back.

        "Hiccup? What are you doing here?" I ask, as Toothless noisily flaps his wings as he lands.

        "Decided to check up on you when I saw you sitting out here," he replied as he slid off of Toothless. "So... Why are you moping out here?"

        "Just..." I looked around, trying to avoid eye contact. "Thinking," I answer vaguely.

        Hiccup raises an eyebrow. "What's bothering you?" He asks, standing in front of me with his arms crossed.

        "Stuff," I reply shortly, hugging my knees to my chest.

        Hiccup doesn't look satisfied with the answer. "It's about (Y/N) isn't it?" He asked with a slight smirk.

        "No..." I mumble, turning away. Why does this make me feel so weird? I have nothing to hide. What's up with you stupid brain?! I mentally scold myself.

        "Astrid..." Hiccup says in a concerned tone. Still casting a shadow over me as he stands there, waiting for an answer.

        I stare at the dirt ground for a moment. Not wanting to give an answer, yet do at the same time. "Yeah... It is." I hang my head in defeat. Still fighting to understand why I feel so anxious about this. I hear a thump beside me, and look up to see that Hiccup had plopped down in the empty space Stormfly had left on the ground there.

        "Why are you so worked up about him?" Hiccup asks, genuine curiosity in his voice.

        I let out a sigh, "I don't know, Hiccup. Maybe because I still don't trust him and now he's getting really close to everyone."

        "Astrid, we both know that's not it." Hiccup said as he gazed at me with his charming green eyes. Looking at them only made my heart ache.

        "Hiccup, can I ask you a question?" I asked, hesitant.

        "Sure," Hiccup nodded.

        "Do you trust him?" I questioned. Gazing at his face and listening intently for his answer.

        Hiccup rolled his eyes and a smile tugged at the corner of his lips. "As a matter of fact, I do. And you should too Astrid. I've seen you spend time with him, and I've seen you smile in his presence. You know as well as I do that (Y/N) is a good person. He's helpful and has a good heart. I think you're just too stubborn as usual to see that."

        I looked at the ground with nothing to say. Focusing on a small pebble halfway buried in the dirt. I still don't fully trust him, but some part of me didn't deny his words.

        So, we both just sat there in silence. Me staring at this rock, and Hiccup most likely gazing at the bright moon shining up in the sky. No one talked for a while, we just shared each other's company as time flew by. Toothless had settled himself somewhere near Stormfly's head, while Stormfly just continued to rest her head on the ground. Sitting here together reminded me of a time that once was. Where Hiccup and I were always together hanging out with each other. Having fun, sharing laughs, enjoying each other's company. Back when we... were still together.

        "Hey," I spoke up, not taking my eyes from the rock. "Remember when we went out flying together under the full moon, just enjoying being together and being happy just flying next to each other?"

        I saw out of the corner of my eye, Hiccup looking at his metal foot as he moved it side to side. "Yeah, that was a few months back. We were dating back then, right?"

        "Yup," I said, staying silent for a moment. "It was nice."

        "You know it didn't work out." Hiccup say gently, knowing this was a touchy subject.

        I let out a heavy sigh and picked at the rock on the ground. My heart felt heavy hearing those words. "I know, it's just... Maybe it could've worked out if we tried harder." I could feel the longing laced in my voice as I falsely clung to hope.

        "Astrid, I've told you already why it didn't work." Hiccup said as he leaned his head back against Stormfly's warm scales.

        "But we've could of-"

        "Astrid, we had a good run. We lasted almost an entire year. But with me being Chief and barely having time to myself, having a relationship is hard to keep up with. Especially with the distance being Chief caused between us." Hiccup explains once again. Words that always manage to get my blood boiling.

        Why can't he get it through that thick skull of his that we could have a chance if we try?! Maybe, with a bit of effort, it might actually work out!

        I whirl on him in a instant. "Well I'm sorry for being hopeful, Chief! All I was suggesting is that we could try again and maybe try other stuff to make it work!" I hastily got to my feet, glaring down at Hiccup with a gaze so strong, he cringed away from me. "But I guess that wouldn't work out either! Because you're the high and mighty Chief now." Sarcasm practically oozed from my words, as I stomped my way over to my door. Stormfly, seeing me get up and move, moved herself out from under Hiccup. Which inevitably caused him to fall on his back.

        "W-Where are you going?!" I hear Hiccup call out to me as he stands up.

        "Home," I flatly replied, unshed tears stinging my eyes. Stormfly goes to her dragon stable obediently, which I close. Before I march up my porch steps and into my house where I promptly slam the door behind me.