A Tragic Beginning

Scarlett was not like any other outlaw in the world, it was truth when many said she came from a good home and upbringing. That is until her Father died when she was a small child. Scarlett being the youngest of four daughters took her father's death much harder than her sisters did. In her eyes, her father Jacob was the best man in the world. He was not only a farmer but he was someone that Scarlett looked up to. Never did he turn anyone in need away. The Worthington house was one of hope and prosperity. Jacob did all he could to protect his family and friends, unfortunately that cost him his life one day.

Going into town, to the bank with Scarlett in tow like he normally did, Jacob had no idea that this would be his last day on earth let alone that his tragic death would happen right before his youngest daughter's eyes.

Walking into the bank and greeting the town folk like he normally did, Jacob had no reason to suspect anything bad would happen that day. Scarlett clung tight to his hand as she smiled up to him happy to spend some one on one time with her father.

This is where things went bad, all the sudden three masked men with guns came into the bank. None of them cared about any of the people in the bank, only the money that was kept there. Pointing the guns up in the air the men began to yell out orders to the bank employees as well as the other people within the bank.

"Everyone get down on the ground and you might make it out alive." The man with a white hat called out as he pointed his gun at the now crowded group of people.

Everyone did as he told them because no one wanted to die. Jacob held close to Scarlett who looked up at the men confused and a bit angry that they had the nerve to come in and rob these people of their hard-earned money. Looking to her Father Scarlett watched as he held a finger to his lips letting her know that she had to keep silent.

"All of the money old man!" the man behind the counter yelled at Mr. Jenkins, the oldest bank employees in town.

Mr. Jenkins tried the best the poor white-haired man could to try and find any and all money behind the counter to give to the masked man but their town wasn't rich at all. The people here barely made enough money to keep their families and farms going. Looking to Mr. Jenkins, Scarlett saw the older man put his hand on his chest and begin to gasp in pain.

"Please sir." Jacob called out to the men.

The white hatted man looked over to Jacob and was surprised that he spoke to them.

"Well, aren't you just too dumb to stay quiet. Stand up Mr. Brave and do tell us what is on your mind." The white hatted man laughed.

Scarlett's eyes widened as she looked from Mr. Jenkins, to the white hatted man and then to her father. The white hatted man was up to something and Scarlett knew it. She didn't trust any of the masked men and for good reason, why need would they have to wear a mask if they were good men? Jacob stood up and gulped as he looked at the three masked men. Just then Mr. Jenkins collapsed. Jacob rushed over to check on him and that's when everyone heard the gun go off. The brown hatted man that was staying silent and just standing behind the white hatted man had the smoking gun. Scarlett looked to him with anger and hatred filling her eyes. That man had shot her father! For no reason that trying to go and make sure that Mr. Jenkins was alright! Scarlett jumped up and ran to her father.

"Poppa! Poppa!" Scarlett yelled as she went to her father's side and saw his once white shirt begin to be stained with blood. "Oh Poppa no, don't leave me!"

Scarlet begged as tears flooded her eyes. The masked men panicked and tried to flee but the Sheriff walked into the office before the last one, the white hatted man made it out of the bank. The other two did escape but Scarlett prayed they would be found and someday brought to justice. The Sheriff grabbed the white hatted man and cuffed him.

"Scarlett, you have to be brave, you are still my little girl and you always will be. Until I see you again promise me one thing." Jacob told his daughter as he gently touched her cheek. "You will never be anyone but who you are, because you are one of a kind."

Nodding Scarlett agreed with her father and hugged him as much as she could. Laying down on his chest she could feel his chest rise three more times before it stopped completely. Scarlett was a smart girl, she knew what happened and that she would never see her father again. The Sheriff talked to everyone who was in the bank until it was finally Scarlett's turns. The Sheriff was a family friend and she knew that he would try to calm her down though at this point it was useless.

"Scarlett, can I have a word with you?" The sheriff asked offering his hand to the young girl.

Scarlett nodded as the town doctor came and covered her father's body with a white sheet. Turning away from the scene she was led into the bankers office where she sat down and waited for the Sheriff to ask her any questions.

"I'm so sorry Scarlett, I know your pa was a great man and everyone will remember him for that." The Sheriffs starts but the young girls stops him.

"Is Mr. Jenkins ok?" Scarlett questions hoping that he would somehow be alright after everything that happened.

"No, I'm sorry hun, Mr. Jenkins must have had a heart attack from too much excitement. Can you tell me what you remember please?" The Sheriff said as he scooted his chair closer to the girl.

Trying to hold back her tears Scarlett retold everything that she could remember happening. The main reason for her father being shot and killed there at the bank was just because he wanted to check and make sure that Mr. Jenkins was alright. Turns out both of them lost their lives and two of the men go away with the crime and they may never be caught.

"Can you remember anything about the men? Did they have any scars or anything like that?" The Sheriff asked trying to get any details.

Scarlett closed her eyes trying to remember the scene. The man with the brown hat did have a scar, it was shaped kinda like cross. She didn't know if that would help the Sheriff but it did help her to know that one day she would get revenge on the man that dared kill her father. The man with the cross on his face and not even God would be able to keep him safe from her. In her eyes she was not at war with the brown hatted man. No matter how long it took, she would see to it that he would end up in the ground with one shot, and that shot would come from her gun.

Three days passed and she didn't tell anyone about her future plans to hunt down and kill the man. Instead she stayed silent as she tried to hold back her emotions. Looking down at her father's grave she couldn't help but let the tears flow. Her father had taught her everything and now she felt utterly alone in the world.

"Scarlett?" a boys voice called out to her.

Turning around Scarlett saw the Sheriffs son Henry walking her way with a few wild flowers in hand. Walking up to her, Henry handed her the bouquet of flowers. A small smile appeared on her lips followed by more tears as she grabbed onto her friend and hugged him close. Henry was the only boy in town that would play with her and besides her father, he was her best friend.

"I miss him so much Henry." Scarlett cried to her friend.

"I know Scar, but he's watching over you and he knows I'll protect ya now." Henry said as he hugged her tight and tried to comfort his little friend. "My pa says that the white hatted man told him everything, even the names of the other men."

Scarlett stood back a few steps surprised.

"Did he tell you the names?"

"No, he said that he will send out the wanted posters in the morning but the hanging won't be for another two days. The judge already said the white hatted man was guilty. I'm really sorry Scar but I promise I will always take care of you." Henry said as he took ahold of Scarlett's hand. "Forever."

The dark hair boy would hold to his promise as long as he could.