A Clue for Revenge

Scarlett had waited the rest of the week to hear her step father come and give her a "good talking to" as he called it. Yet he never came and that made her more suspicious. Why would he not come and give her the same old speech he had given her so many times before? Sitting on her front porch, in a long white dress she held her book before her but paid very little attention to it. So many thoughts were going through her mind.

"Ah! Miss Worthington!" the man who she had just rejected called out to her and she looked and him utterly confused. "Do you have a spare moment?"

"I'm sorry but what in the world do you think you are doing? Shouldn't you be on your way back to your own town far away from here?" Scarlett asked as she closed her book and stood up from her spot.

"I have moved here, permanently." He replied as he walked up to her porch.

"Permanently? Surely not, your parents must want you back home to find the bride you are searching for." Scarlett said with an eye roll.

"My parents passed two winters ago, I am here on my own with the railroad. I am one main investors since my inheritance was rather large though I doubt you care about me being rich at all do you?" he spoke confidently as he leaned against the wooded fence around the porch.

"You are correct sir, money makes no difference in my mind." Scarlett said with a scoff.

"Jasper please, we can at least be friends I have already been so kindly rejected by you so highly doubt there is anything bad between us besides that." He replied with a shrug. "May I call you by your first name?"

Scarlett narrowed her eyes at Jasper. Though he was handsome and in regular clothes that didn't look to be that expensive he just seemed like a normal man. Why would he want to come here though and speak with her after she had clearly rejected him.

"Jasper, You did not exactly offer a proposal for me to reject but if you insist on staying here and to act like friends you may call me Scarlett. Not that I will always answer you though." Scarlett said with a laugh as she turned to walk into her house only to have him blocking her way.

"Are you completely sure about that? Aren't you the slightest bit curious about anything besides whatever goes on in that head of yours?" Jasper asked catching her off guard as he leaned in close to her.

Being more or less forced to look at his face and his beautiful blue eyes Scarlett could sense something new beginning to form inside of her. Looking from his eyes to his lips she had to admit that she was curious...perhaps curious about what a kiss from Jasper would feel like? Would he be a commanding individual or would he be a kind one like Henry?

"Scarlett?" Henry called out to his friend.

Speaking of Henry, Scarlett pulled back away from Jasper and looked back to her friend. Henry looked at the scene confused but not sure he was willing to ask the question that kept running through his mind.

"Have a good night Scarlett." Jasper said with a smile as he turned and left the porch.

"Who was that?" Henry asked as he went to his friend.

"The latest suitor that Morgan brought to the house. He just informed me he is moving her permanently." Scarlett said as she looked to Henry. "Is something wrong?"

"No, uh, I just wanted to make sure you were ok. You didn't come by and tell me about Morgan giving you the speech." Henry said scratching the back of his head.

Even Henry knew about the speech. That was because every time that Scarlett heard it she would always go and tell Henry about it. So, it made sense that he might get worried about her not coming to tell him about the newest person she had flat out told she wouldn't marry.

"He didn't give me the speech, I don't know why but no one has even talked about me rejecting Mr. Rich." Scarlett shrugged as she went to the porch steps and sat down. "I know they are up to something but I'm not sure what."

"Right, well now that I know you are alright I better head back." Henry said as he went to leave.

"Henry...are you sure you are ok? Is this because of the kiss?" Scarlett said standing up and going to her friend.

"I know you only did it to make Morgan mad, don't worry." Henry said as he looked down at the ground.

"Henry, please look at me." Scarlett asked and he did. "You mean so much to me. I can't lose you. If something ever came between us I don't know what I would do."

Scarlett was being honest, it scared her to think that something might split them up from if they ever were a couple but as friends as well. Henry didn't say anything instead he just nodded and walked away. He didn't know what to say because her fear was well placed. He would hate to lose her at all.

Walking back up to her room, Scarlett lit a candle and sat down and her vanity. Looking to the mirror she looked at her reflection that looked back at her. Was she doing the right thing? Scarlett knew her mother and Morgan couldn't keep her much longer and she had better try to get her revenge and soon. Looking down to get her hair brush she saw an unmarked envelope. Picking it up and opening it there one a single piece of paper was a name. "James Bartholomew. He was the brown hatted man. Last seen in Carson City. Good Luck." Smiling, Scarlett looked into the mirror. She now had a name and a place. Things were finally looking up for her.

Packing what items she thought she might need she changed her clothes knowing she couldn't travel in a dress. Putting on long black pants, black boots, a white undershirt, a white corset Scarlett was surprised when she saw herself in the mirror. The woman looking back at her looked like a real outlaw. One that had no fear and was willing to do anything to find the man she needed to. Going to her closet she took out a hat, a white one that her father had got her for when she "Grew up" and now she would put it to good use.

Sneaking out of the house, her bag in tow. Scarlett made it out the barn and saddled up her horse. Mounting the horse as silent as she could she wasted no time getting out of the barn and onto the dirt road. Carson City would be a long ride but one that was well worth it. What she didn't know was she was being watched from inside the barn and the outside.

Up in the hayloft, Morgan and Jasper watched as she took off riding onto the dirt path and they both smiled. It didn't take much effort to find out who the brown hatted man was, well it was easy since Morgan snuck into the Sherriff's office while he was away and copied down everything about Jacob's murder.

"She's going to Carson City to take care of that scum. I trust you to keep her safe and hide any evidence that she did it. After all what else can your money do?" Morgan asked as he looked over to Jasper.

"One less outlaw is better in my eyes. Not to worry, no one will know a thing and when she comes back I will make her my wife and none will know of the brown hatted man." Jasper reassured Morgan as he went down from the hayloft and mounted his own horse.

Jasper took off onto the dirt road on his horse as Morgan went inside. However, there was another at the barn that night. Henry walked out from behind the barn having heard everything the two men had just said. They were willing to let Scarlett not only kill the man and hide the murder but they even broke into his father's office. Those two could easily be arrested but then what would happen to Scarlett? Henry ran off to get his own horse. He would find Scarlett and stop her from doing something he knew she would regret. Taking a human life wasn't easy he knew because his father had nightmares about anyone whose life he had taken.

Scarlett rode furthest on the dirt road, unaware that Jasper was behind her making sure that he was keeping a good distance away from Scarlett. Also without Jasper knowing that a ways behind him Henry was doing his best not to be seen until he could tell Scarlett what was really going on. All three of them were on their way to Carson City and the adventure they had ahead of them.