Chapter XXXIV

Valak

I nearly fell to my knees at the sight of the castle I'd built by hand in flames. The fire was ferocious. No one trapped in there would ever make it out alive. I mentally thanked the Gods that I had Layne and Livia were moved to the safe house.

Warriors of lycan and vampire decent fought for the remains of their kingdom. The nosferatu were smaller in number, but they seemed to fight as if it were a mere workout. They slaughtered my soldiers effortlessly. It was clear they chose this time to attack knowing I'd be rescuing Livia. My warriors were trained to always be prepared, but nothing could've prepared them for an enemy of such strength.

My ears caught screams of pain and sorrow within my fallen home. The walls slowly crumbled. I knew some would be left standing because the foundation is sturdy and made of concrete. It would be restorable, but it seemed pointless.

Without further examination, I joined my soldiers into battle. I didn't have my armor or weapon with me, but I couldn't stand by and watch my army wither. Most of the nosferatu were in their true forms along with the lycanthrope. Their skin was a milky, transparent white allowing their veins to be seen. Their canines bit into my soldiers. Most towered over by at least two feet.

I picked up a battle axe from one of my fallen trainees and dug it through the nearest nosferatu's skull. From that point on, I continued slaying every nosferatu I laid eyes on. Some put up a good fight, while others barely made me break a sweat. I could sense the battle was shifting. My soldiers were fighting harder at my side. They worked together just as I had trained to take down the greater beings.

"Valious." A dark voice hissed from a distance. I didn't allow it to stunt my actions as I continued wielding my weapon.

It wasn't until I heard a sword being drawn that I took a look in the direction of which my birth name was called. Of course, he was the largest nosferatu of them all. His skin was slightly less transparent, and his sharp ends were more deadly.

Our eyes locked. His milky black orbs pierced mine. I continued fighting enemies, but kept our staredown going.

"Asmodeus." I growled. His pointed ears perked and a smirk widened his lips. He dropped the soldier he was currently choking out and began heading my way. I did the same.

"I've been waiting for your arrival... I've even prepared a welcome party." Asmodeus said while motioning to the bloodbath surrounding us.

I calmly shake my head, "I can promise there is a welcome party for you in hell. I'd love to be the one to take you there." I played along.

"Ah, you're a wise man, just like your father." He chuckled sadistically.

"Why are you still talking?" I ask sarcastically while preparing to take out the half demon.

"Valious, I didn't come here to brawl. I came to bargain."

"And what do you have that you think I could possibly want?" I feel the beast growing impatient. It wants to take out the one who hurt our mate so badly.

"I came to bargain your mate and child's life." He said while making his way to my burning castle. He casually takes a seat in a dinning chair that's been mildly touched my fire. I continue to stand with my arms crossed.

"Leave Livia out of this, I have her in my custody now. You can't harm her anymore."

I was a little surprised when he threw his head back and a barrow of laughter left his throat.

"Did you really think..." He beats a fist on the table while wheezing like a damn child, "... I'd just give that whore up just like that?"

I toke a step closer knowing my demeanor is threatening just by feeling the pressure of my demon. The half-demon eyes me with an amused look.