Chapter 1 - Special Victims

[ORIGINAL CHAPTER]

After spending the majority of my life in Chicago, I had recently moved back to Manhattan

After spending the majority of my life in Chicago, I had recently moved back to Manhattan. When my mother became pregnant at the age of 15, her parents kicked her out; as a result, she worked any job she could find to save money so that we could move to Chicago and start over. As the last of the boxes was brought inside, I shut the door of my apartment and started unpacking my belongings.

I was promoted from rookie police officer to lieutenant after saving the life of the president's niece and solving a case on my own. The president thought I would be a perfect fit for the special victims unit, but I left my mother in Chicago. After unpacking, I sat down and took a picture of my mother and I when I was a child out of my wallet and smiled. My mother did her best to raise me, and I can still see how happy she was when I graduated the academy.

I sat there for a while, smiling and staring at the picture. Then, I stood up, walked over to the silver case and opened it. I then took my weapon out of it and put it into my holster. Finally, I grabbed my badge and jacket and a box of belongings before leaving my apartment because I had to get to the precinct in 30 minutes to meet the captain and be paired with a partner. As soon as I got to the sidewalk, I crossed to my car, which was parked outside my apartment, got in, and started driving down the streets. I turned on the radio and took in everything as I looked out the windscreen while Viva La Vida by Coldplay started to play over the radio.

It made me grin that even though it had been 25 years since I had last been in New York since it felt like yesterday as I pulled up in the prescient, parked, got out, and closed the door behind me and locking it. As I entered, I turned around to see people chatting and detectives working on cases at tables or in front of screens. I was stopped as I entered, "lieutenant," a man said. "I'm Captain Cragen," Captain said, holding out his hand for me to shake; I did so with a smile. "Nice to meet you, Captain," I said. "Shall we talk in my office," Captain said, turning towards it. We both walked over, stepped inside, and he closed the door behind us.

"Please take a seat" Captain Cragen said as he walked over to his desk pointing at the seat infront of it before I sat down "so Lieutenant welcome to SVU" Captain Cragen said as I sat there nervous I didn't usually get nervous which bothered me "your arrest record is exemplary And a recommendation from the president is something" Captain Cragen said which made a nervous smile appear on my face "unfortunately we don't have a partner to pair you up with so I'm going to put you with Detectives Stabler and Benson" Captain Cragen said.

Which made me nervous because Partners develop a relationship closer than couples and I would be just walking into there's "again Welcome to the Unit Lieutenant Marshall" Cragen said as he stood up before opening the door and I stepped out before walking over to a group of detectives who turned around to me and looked at me confused of why I was there. "I'm Lieutenant Marshall" I said which made an impressed smile appear on the female detectives face. "The cop who saved the presidents niece after solving the case by yourself" she said sounding impressed.

"I'm detective Olivia Benson, this is Detective Elliot Stabler," Olivia said as she extended her hand for me to shake; I did so with a smile. "Nice to meet you," Elliot said before shaking my hand as well. "Benson & Stabler apparently I'm partnering up with you guys," I said, which caused an annoyed expression to appear on Elliot's face. "I already have a partner" Elliot said before walking away "ignore him I'm glad to have you" Olivia said with a smile before showing me my desk so I began to unpack my box of things before putting a photo of myself and my mom on the desk.

Before Olivia walked over sitting on the end of my desk "that your mom" Olivia said looking at the photo "yeah" i said with a smile as I looked at the photo before turning to face her and smiling at her as our eyes met and we smiled at each other. "You look like her" Olivia said which made me happy because my mother always told me I looked like her accept from my eyes those I got from my father, she told me growing up she could remember my fathers face like yesterday but she never knew his name which meant that she couldn't contact him when she found out she was pregnant but I always believed there was more to the story.

Olivia smiled at me before she got off my desk and walked over to her desk and sat down, I spent all of my first shift filling out paperwork while the others went out on a case which made me feel more of outsider as I began to gather up my belongings I was stopped by the squad "fancy a beer" Odafin said as I was about to leave. Which made me turn around to see the squad stood there apart from Elliot who had gone home with smiles on there faces. "Yeah that would be great?" I said with a smile before everyone walked over to me and we headed out together before heading out to a bar.

As we all sat at the bar together I began to drink my beer "so Matt saving the presidents niece that's quite the save" Finn said before I looked at him "yeah but no one ever lets me get over it" I said with a grin "I've been looking into your cases, I'm surprised your not already a captain" Munch said as he looked at me I didn't want to be treat differently but everyone knew who I was "I'm not interested in the responsibility I'm just interested in saving lives" I said as i awkwardly continued to drink my beer. "You got a girlfriend?" A woman said as she walked over to the bar with a grin on her face "not really kinda married to the job" I said turning to face her.

"I like a man in uniform" the woman said as she began to touch my chest when I noticed Olivia looked uncomfortable so I moved her hand out of the way "sorry but your not my type" I said which made her glare at me before walking away "not your type huh" Finn said as she chuckled "let's say I'm into older women" i said before a large grin appeared on my face before looking away from Olivia and finishing my beer.
End Of Chapter 1