Chapter 32

Zella Day - Compass

Her cloak snapped in the wind behind her. Jessa was almost worried that the fragile silk fabric of her dress would tear.

For a while, there was nothing but the pounding sound of the horse's hooves and the gentle snowfall.

Then the castle rose before her, larger and larger the closer she got to it. Slowing down, Jessa marvelled in its grand beauty: the steel gates polished to an unnatural shine, oil lanterns lining the cobblestones walkway, and the carriages–both big and small–that moved across it.

Jessa did her best on focusing both in keeping her dress intact and scanning the castle surroundings. Although it was mesmerizing, there was still the suspicious spikes that gleamed on top of the front gates; the endless guards that patrolled the grounds (including the ones at the gates checking the guest's invites). A likely warning.

And what was that smell?

It almost smelled like . . . flowers. A lot of flowers. But there was no garden along the walkway, which meant the smell came from beyond the gates.

And that's where I'll be going.

A cry of frustration instantly caught Jessa's attention. It was a pretty fair-haired lady stomping out of her carriage, almost at the end of the walkway, wearing a shimmery red dress and a collar embedded with black diamonds.

"What do you mean you lost my invitation?" She yelled at the driver, who visibly cringed. The lady didn't wait for an answer. "Nevermind. I'll just walk. I don't need to be in a carriage driven by some clueless person." She made a hmph sound and gathered up her dress in her fists, starting towards the castle gates where the guards were.

She stalked right past Jessa, who'd dismounted from her horse. Jessa had first planned to go in late, since it would be–admittedly–more than a bit embarrassing to be the only one without a carriage in line, as she could see so far. But with this woman and the poor driver, she saw a chance.

As she studied the lady further, Jessa saw her hold a mask in hand. One that was covered in black feathers . . . like a bird.

Jessa sighed then, thinking, Right. It's a masquerade ball. Masks were one of the most notable key things of a masquerade.

How could she forget?

–––

As the first guests arrived, the musicians who sat on the raised platform started to play simple, quiet music. The servants were finishing up placing food on the tables on one side of the grand ballroom, going back to the kitchen to fetch trays of drinks and appetizers for the guests. Curtains were pulled back to reveal the stained glass windows depicting various artworks like a deer wandering through a forest and multiple hands wrapped in thorns. A chandelier hung in the middle of the ceiling, multiple candles in it that encased the interiors with a soft glow.

There were two entrances in the ballroom. The one at the far end was where the people would arrive as they went into the castle.

The other entrance was at the opposite end of the ballroom, draped over with large curtains–which was where Ryland stood behind, peaking between the opening.

"What do you think?" Elise asked from behind him. He spun and saw his cousin dressed in a white and gold gown, subtly showing off the colours of Andalia yet still managing to look as elegant as she could ever be.

Instead of her usual circlets, Elise wore a white mask that stretched back to curve over her ears, ending in what looked like wings that encircled her head.