Chapter 35

MIIA - Dynasty

When the beloved Faerie princess died, the ground cracked and the skies wept for her. The beasts of the wild roared for her, the lesser animals turning into a frenzy. She was the martyr princess, and without her presence, even the fire refused to crackle in its hearths and rose only in embers. The humans suffered for years, feeling the deep devastation of nature. For when a Faerie died, all of mother nature felt it. Especially when it was a Faerie like Mertham, the princess and now a goddess.

But there were rumours–rumours that she would come back somehow. And when she came back, that would be when the fire would erupt and engulf the whole world in its flames.

- A Tale Of Misery -

–––

Ryland cried, "NO!"

He started towards Elise, but abruptly stopped, frozen with his hand extended towards her.

"Don't. You. Dare," snarled Queen Ilena, jabbing a finger at him. "She's alive, for now. So be a darling and stay put, lest you want something to happen to your cousin."

Whatever had seized hold of Ryland let go, and he dropped to the ground, hair plastered to his forehead with sweat.

Jessa wanted to go to him, to help him. But she found her body rooted to the ground, unable to move except turn left to right. So she held on to Casrian, keeping him from sliding down to the glass-covered ground.

She barely had any idea how Elise's telepathy worked, but she tried anyways.

Elise?

No answer.

She tried again, repeating her name. Elise, please.

Can you hear me?

Silence. Yet just as Jessa was losing hope, there was a rumbling feeling within her, like wilting flowers coming back to life.

Like another mind opening up to her.

It was distant, a quiet sound in her mind. But not exactly a sound either, more a thought of another's.

Jessa? Far ahead, she could've sworn she saw Elise's fingers twitch.

It was a strange feeling, communicating through thinking. Better than nothing

She exhaled a soft sigh of relief.

You're awake!

A pause, as if it took a lot of energy to reply.

What happened?

Jessa pressed her lips tightly together. Ilena happened. Listen to me, I'm going to distract your crazy step-aunt and get you guys out of here. Can you tell the others that, if you can?

. . . I'll try, said Elise.

Thank you.

And Jessa? Stay safe.

A tug at the corner of her lips. I'll try.

Queen Ilena turned her eyes to Prince Dallin and the King. She smiled. "Kill him," she commanded her guards.

Before she could yell or scream or do anything, the guards tore Prince Dallin away and took the King by the arms. Prince Dallin landed right beside Jessa, his clothing torn in places where the glass had cut through.

"Stop–stop!" Prince Dallin wailed frantically, slipping to the floor every time he tried to stand. But he was weak and too used to the pristine life, and he could do nothing.