CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

He sat crosslegged on the carpet deep in thought.His face looked pale and worry lines were etched all across his forehead.Just a few weeks back,Yasir had never thought thats there would come such a juncture in his life.

A stage in life in which he was close to losing someone precious.He knew that they had had only one meeting so far but that was enough for him to know that she was the one for him.

But then he had rejected her.Twice to be precise.And what about her mother?He still did not want to hurt her feelings.Why was everything always so complicated?He passed his hand through his hair as he thought of what to do.

"Yasir,you called for me?"asked his mother as she walked into the room.

"Yes Mama."

His mother came and sat down next to him on the carpet and immediately Yasir laid his head on her shoulder.

"What is bothering my son?"

Yasir closed his eyes as he snuggled in closer.His mother smiled.Yasir always did that whenever he was upset or confused.

"This is about Yumnah isn't it?"she asked.

"I am losing her Mama and i dont know what to do anymore."

"Why did you say no,if you like her?What happened that day Yasir?"asked his mother.

Yasir quickly narrated to his mother of what had transpired and also the reason as to why he had said no.

"I left it to Allah,Mama.I have tawakkul in Him.I know that nothing can stop us from being together if its really meant to be."

He heard his mother sigh and for a few minutes they sat in silence.

"Yasir,do you remember the hadith i once told you about tying the camel?"asked his mother.

"Yes,Mama."

"What was the owner of the camel told in the hadith?"

"To tie his camel and put his trust in Allah,"answered Yasir.

"Exactly.Its good that you have put your trust in Allah my boy but that does not mean that you simply sit back and not take any measures."

Yasir nodded his head in understanding.

"Do you remember Maryam's(may Allah have mercy on her) story?Did the date palms just fall to her or did she have to shake the tree herself?"

"She had to shake the tree herself,Mama," said Yasir realisation dawning on him.Why hadn't he thought of all this before?His Mama had made everything so simple.

"So if you like her Yasir then fight for her.The poor girl has suffered enough.First Khaleel, then you and as for you,you just rejected her without thinking things through.That was really unfair to her Yasir."

"I am sorry Mama but what about her mother?I would never want to hurt your feelings and i don't want to Yumnah to do the same,"said Yasir.

"Yasir,her mother is just being overprotective.Instead of saying no,you should have tried to convince her to give you her daughter's hand.If she gets to know how much you will love,respect and take care of her daughter she will definately relent."

That was so true.He should have fought for Yumnah but instead he had just broken her heart.

"So what do i do now Mama?Her father wants to get her married to some Muneer."

His mother let out a hearty laugh.Was her son always this naive or was today a special day?

"Well, i think you should pick up your phone and call uncle Bilal and tell him that you are still interested in his daughter," said his mother still laughing.