21 - Going up

The control room, 01:51

Dan and Ric share a silent glance, and he points at the door. She nods and moves backwards with small steps, observing how he bows to check on Ken and Steff. Their breasts move, but they are both out cold. Dan can't guess how long it will take them to wake up, but this is obviously the right time to leave.

Ric shoves Steff's heavy gun behind a console, and Dan reaches for his arm. "Wait, why not keep this? We might need it."

"No way, these models were retina coded to the owner, in this case, Steff."

"Oh. So you just bluffed when you threatened Ken? Don't mind the new kid in town."

Ric grins. "Yeah, and he fell for it. But no worries, new kid. You passed the test, welcome to the gang. Your performance was stage-worthy. How's the face?"

"Well enough. Let's move."

She opens the door and peers out into the dark and empty hallway. Ric takes her hand, probably to prevent her disappearing on him, while holding onto the wrench with his left. Aware he has both hands full, Dan fumbles the torch out of her pocket and lights it, glad it survived the last drop. The narrow cone of light wanders up and down the hallway until Ric points her to the right.

They creep along with quiet steps until the soft hiss of a hydraulic door further ahead disrupts the silence. Panicked, Dan stops, searching for a hiding place. Ric pulls her towards an anonymous grey door. Dan's heart beats a furious rhythm while he tries the handle.

The door is unlocked, and he leads her into a dark room. In the beam of her flashlight, she recognises a urinal and a row of three toilet cubicles. Dan can't hold back a giggle. Ric's grip tightens, and his whisper tickles her ear.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Just, all the unbearable tension and we end up in a lavatory. Do you mind if I use the toilet as long as we're here? You never know when luck strikes again."

"If you don't mind my company?"

"Um." She feels her already hot cheeks flushing. "Right, we have to remain in contact. Fine, if you don't look."

Dan is sure his trademark grin is spread across his face. She leads the way to the last cubicle and stows her torch to free a hand.

The procedure is awkward as they both are eager to keep contact at all times. Torn between feeling embarrassed and finding the situation hilarious, Dan suppresses more giggles, calling herself to order. No need to prolong the inappropriate moment. However, Ric already picked up on her cheerfulness and his quiet guffaws distract her while she fumbles to close her zipper one-handed.

When running steps resonate through the hallway outside, they both become serious and stop with bated breath. Dan hopes their childish laughter didn't give away their presence. As soon as the sounds outside subside, Ric urges her to hurry. "When they find Ken and Steff, hell will break loose on this level. Better we're as far away as possible."

They leave the room hand in hand and follow the now brightly lit corridor. Behind the next corner lies an elevator, probably the one Dan heard before. The plain door to the right carries a green and white pictogram, the international sign for emergency exits.

Dan switches on her light with a small sigh, welcoming the musky scent of unused space, as soon as the heavy door seals them into the safety of the dark concrete stairwell. She knows it is too early to feel relieved, but this beats hiding in a toilet cubicle. They climb the steps fast, hand in hand. On the second landing, Dan stops.

"Listen, about your clever grey box, I left it in the car. I wasn't sure what kind of mess I'd stumble into here and thought it might be better protected in my century. Do you need it?"

"Yes, but I hoped you'd stow it someplace safe. To allow me to close down this dump, you'll have to fetch it, though." He stows the wrench in his waistband. "Let's find a place where I can wait for you during the next of your shifts. Down here is too dangerous. The headquarter is situated in the top levels according to our rough plans."

The logic of why Ric seems convinced there are fewer dangers near the headquarter evades Dan's grasp, but she follows him further upstairs. On the fifth level, the steps end in front of a massive, steel-plated door. She tries to open it, but the lock doesn't budge. Dan kicks against the plating in disappointment. "Merde. We might have hidden on the roof."

"The roof? Hardly, we're at least another level underground. This must be their emergency exit. Unfortunately, I can't open it without my Metec."

"Your Metec?"

"What you call the grey box-thingy. Come, let's try downstairs."

One level lower, Ric opens the door a crack. When all remains silent, he pulls it wide enough to allow them access to another seemingly endless and windowless hallway. This one is fitted out better than the building parts they have seen so far. The floor is covered with a fluffy, light green carpet swallowing their steps. Dan stows her flashlight and follows Ric along cream coloured walls decorated with abstract paintings. The giant, waxy leaves of potted plants stretch towards artificial daylight from big lamps, the air smells of disinfectant and pine needles. This is the place where evil dwells.

At the end, the hallway opens into a hall resembling the lobby of a five-star luxury hotel. Dan can't help but shiver, feeling like a bunny entering the lion's den. She glances around, twitchy and ready to duck behind the unnatural greenery at the slightest sound.
Several doors lead from the hall to other rooms, all of them closed. Ric hesitates a moment before he chooses one and pulls Dan into an empty, under-furnished conference room. He closes and locks the door behind them.

"This room lies next to the main office—if my information is correct." He glances around and points towards a door. "Look, they are even connected to allow private access. This might be the most secure spot in the whole forsaken bunker as long as the boss doesn't call a meeting. Perhaps it's best if you get my Metec now."

Dan nods, reluctant to let go of Ric's hand and the volatile promise of safety it holds. Another transfer is overdue, according to her sense of time. Maybe she missed the flickering of the lights in the stress of their flight.

Ric frowns down at her and tucks a wisp of auburn hair behind her ear in an almost tender gesture. As soon as the lamp above the heart-shaped leaves of a giant philodendron flickers, he pulls back his fingers. At the same instant, the stuttering sound of a siren tears through the building.