38 - Goodbyes

The museum, 03:35

Ric stows his gadget in a pocket, but Dan isn't reassured by the fact she can't see the blinking or hear the footsteps anymore. She summons a boost of energy, stands up, and grabs the wrench to stow it in her waistband again. Perhaps she'll need it later.

Ric pulls her pullover over it, unwilling to let go of her hand. His touch on the bare skin over her ribs drives the blood into her cheeks. He acknowledges the fact with a broad grin. Embarrassed, Dan glances sideways at the extinguisher. Ric follows her gaze, and he picks up the red cylinder to place it on a small glass-table beside the sofa, next to a worn paperback with a cover in glaring colours. While out of place as a living room ornament in Dan's eyes, it still looks like a decorative piece. "I thought you were against anachronisms?"

"I am. But what I told you today will disturb the timeline far worse than a tiny infraction like this one. I can't imagine the future will be fatally affected."

Dan grins and pulls him further into the exhibition. "Let's find a better hiding place. I still have questions."

She leads the way into a room filled with beds of all shapes and makings. There are hammocks and futons, massive wooden constructions and thin mattresses on fragile-looking frames. Ric slows down. "Sleeping rooms? Do you suggest to hide in a bed? They might overlook us if we act naturally."

"Ric, stop making fun of me."

"I don't laugh at you, not much, I swear. The time has run out, by the way. We can leave whenever we like, now, so we won't need another hideout. As soon as I let go of your hand, you'll disappear and pop up in your own time, ready to play your major role in history. The TA is out of order, and my Metec will bring me home the same instant."

"Then let us find somewhere nice to say goodbye."

"Okay, but what was wrong with the twenty-first-century sofa? I could get used to it." His eyebrows raise in mock exasperation. Dan picks up the light mood.

"There is nothing wrong. But you must admit the lighting was too stark. Same here, unsuited for a romantic sleeping-room intermezzo. Let's see what comes after the beds."

Hand in hand, they cut through a room with children's furniture, and while Ric's grin is broader than ever, he foregoes another of his snarky remarks. Dan blushes anyway, and the small movement at the corner of his mouth tells her he knows about the fact.

The next room is filled with workout equipment. Most of the assembled machines might be stainless steel copies of mediaeval torture devices. But Dan hasn't the time to study the finer details of the weird monstrosities. Finally, they reach a smaller room kept in autumn colours. Along the walls, flowing tissues flutter in a soft breeze, and the floor is covered in thick carpets and cushions. An artificial fire in the centre provides a warm, moving light, changing the colour from yellow to orange-red and back in a slow rhythm.

Dan stops, fascinated by the overall impression of quietness and peace. Ric turns towards her and places his free hand on her hip.

"Romantic enough as a goodbye setting?"

"Romantic like a sunset at the beach, bordering on cheesy. What kind of room is this?"

"If I remember correctly what my art teacher tried to beat into my brain, it's a meditation parlour. They were the rage after the crisis, somewhen after your time, I guess. Hey, for the first time tonight my history knowledge beats yours!"

Dan shakes her head. "You're playing unfair, this is your home turf. I'd have to be a clairvoyant to know about my future. Have mercy with a woman stuck firmly in the dark, early twenty-first century and living her simple life in chronological order. Besides, what crisis are you talking about?"

His smile falters, and he pulls her a fraction closer. "It doesn't matter, one or the other. You can't change the turn of destiny all by yourself, not even with a time machine."

He smoothens the frown on her forehead with a thumb. "Doctor Danielle Lent, let me stress it was a true honour to meet you personally."

Dan stares at him, taken aback. Then her probably baffled expression causes his boyish grin to reappear. It's unbelievable how she came to love it in such a short time. Ric pulls her into an embrace. She mumbles into his shirt, glad he can't see her blushing again. "I'll miss you, mister secret agent and time traveller."

"So will I, madam. I haven't met many great inventors on my missions so far, and you're far more interesting than I thought any celebrity could be."

He pushes her away so she can lift her head and admire his enticing smile. However, there is not much time to enjoy it before he pulls her back against his chest and squeezes her tight. Dan wriggles to find a position where the wheel brace doesn't hurt too much and sighs, inhaling his smell, aware her time is running out. She'll never get familiar with it.

When she tilts her head, his lips find hers. She stiffens for a few seconds but soon leans into the kiss she was sure she would never receive. With closed eyes, Dan enjoys the sweat moment.

A beep from the Metec interrupts her bliss. Reluctantly, they separate. Dan keeps hold of Ric's gaze. Why am I always falling for the wrong guy?

His smile seems sad as if he reads her thoughts and perhaps shares her feelings. Still holding her close, he digs the Metec from his pocket and studies the display. "They reached our level. Only moments left. Are you ready?"

Not trusting her voice, she simply nods while Ric pulls her into another fierce embrace. Their lips meet for a second, passionate kiss. Then he leans his forehead against hers and twirls a strand of auburn hair around his finger. "All the best, Dan, and I wish you success with your projects. I'll think a lot about you, back home. Don't forget to write your autobiography, I promise I'll reread it the first thing tomorrow morning."

"Don't, I'm sure it's boring."

"It's not. I enjoyed your humour the first time, and it will be even more fascinating now. What about you?"

"I'll go check for Buddy, I guess. And as soon as I've slept my share, I'll buy a pack of cashews, repeat my experiment, and take first notes for the biography. I might dedicate it to you. After all, it's nothing I ever planned doing... Thanks for an interesting night, Ric, and all the best to you, too."

His trademark grin is back, and he breaks the embrace in the instant two armed figures in dark outfits enter the chamber. The moment Ric lets go of her hand, darkness engulfs Dan.