Chapter 22: The Bad Girl Gets The Bad News

Christian's POV
"We can't say how long." The doctor replied.

"What do you mean you can't say?" Jared shot back. Both him, I, Tino, and Alex's doctor had now gathered in his office to discuss Alex's paralysis. I could see the doctors lips moving, and I knew he was forming words, but I couldn't focus on that any longer.

All I was thinking about was Alex.

Would she never be able to race again?

Would she never be able to dance again?

Would she never be able to walk again?

"This could be temporary. This could be more permanent. There's a few surgeries that are still on the table to try for mending the nerves, but the doctor that specializes in those types of reconstructive surgeries doesn't live here. He's in Washington." Alex's doctor explained.

Tino didn't hesitate. "When can we get her on the first plane out there?" He asked. The doctor, I think his name was Richards? He seemed to contemplate it for a moment.

"She just needs a few more days here, then she can be transferred through medical facilities. We'd have her back here in L.A. to recover after a mere few weeks." He replied. Tino nodded to give the doctor the go ahead.

"Shouldn't we talk it over with Alex?" Jared asked, but Tino put his hand up, cutting him off.

"I will put down whatever they ask for, for these surgeries. You know Alex, Jared. You know what she's been through. If she can't race again... I'm afraid to see what she might do." He whispered that last part quietly, but I heard it clear as day. I felt my hands tighten into fists at my sides. I hated being this helpless.

We all made our way back to Alex's room. Her eyes were puffed and blurry now. I could tell she had been crying.

"It's okay, Alexandria." Tino whispered softly. I stood stunned slightly. I had never heard anyone call her that before. Was that Alex's full name? Her eyes watered up again at his words.

"I really fucked up big time, didn't I." She croaked out, but Tino just smiled.

"Now would you be Alex Diaz if you didn't?" He asked. "Caleb is handling the jackass that lost control on the road like that. Everything is getting taken care of." He replied.

"Everything?" Alex asked curiously.

Tino cleared his throat. "I've organized your transfer to a different facility in Washington-"

"Washington?" Alex asked, cutting in. She looked taken back. "They said my paralysis might just be temporary. I don't need to be transferred, I can stay right here-"

"No." Tino snapped so fiercely, I jumped slightly. "They need to look at your nerves, Alex. You need to walk again. I'm getting you any help I possibly can."

"I don't want to leave you guys." Alex whispered. Jared's eyes softened at her words.

"It will only be for a few weeks. Tino will be there the entire time and I'll come visit for a few days when I'm not running the shoppe. You'll see Christian and Caleb and all the other guys as soon as you get back." Jared explained.

I'd never seen Alex look so torn.
"Can I speak with Christian alone for a moment?" She asked finally. Tino and Jared nodded, standing up to leave both Alex and I to a painful silence. She was the one to speak first.

"I won't be able to dance with you." She whispered. The tears were starting to roll down her cheeks. "I won't be able to dance with you and all I fucking wanted was to dance with you and I won't be able to do that because of these stupid legs like who needs legs? Why can't dancing involve only arms or some shit why does everything require all your limbs and I just t-think it's such bwullshit-" her voice broke off. She was hiccuping and babbling and crying hysterical that I couldn't help but pull her into my arms.

I tried to be as gentle as possible but me not being able to hold her had almost driven me insane.

"It's okay." I whispered, running my hands through her soft hair. "It's going to be okay." I whispered again. I could feel her body shaking against me.

"What hurts me the most is that I won't even be able to see you dance. I don't want to leave just yet. I want to see you up on that stage. I want to see the way you look when you perform. When you do something you love so much." She hiccuped again, and I just held her tighter.

"You know what I want to see again?" I asked. "I want to see you race," I felt my heart break, "I want to see you do what you love. I want to see you race and dance. Fuck, Alex, I want to see you walk. I don't ever want to be the one who held you back from getting treated. Getting better. Whether it's temporary or not, I won't just sit aside and let you not go because you want to sit in for my performance.

"There will be many performances. So many performances that by the 18th one, you'll get so sick of seeing me up on that stage. By the 26th, you might be over dancing, and by the 44th, you might be over me." I joked. She pulled herself away from my chest briefly to look up at me.

"That's not funny. By the 44th performance, we'd of had two cats together and a hedgehog named Henry. Don't joke around like that."

I felt my lips curl up as the witty Alex I knew, returned.

"Then go get better so we can live with our two cats and an adopted hedgehog." I whispered back, kissing her temple.

She smiled up at me once more before tilting her head and slowly connecting our lips. They were slightly bruised from the accident, so I made sure to take care when kissing her... but that feeling... the feeling of her lips on mine-

It was a feeling I could get used to. It was a feeling I could grow old with.
Today was the first day I had seen Alex cry.

And I was ready to do everything in my power to insure that today would be the last.