( thirteen )

Running felt like freedom

Running felt like freedom. It had Harley's hair blowing behind her, kept her heart racing, and made sure she knew she was alive. She ran fast, following the others, but the grounders were following them closely. Her lungs begged for air while her leg muscles ached, but she didn't stop. Harley was terrified; her hand clutching her weapon and making her knuckles white.

However, Bellamy wasn't as scared as Harley was. She heard Roma and Diggs protesting that they can't keep going, and he came to a halt, panting. "I'm sick of running anyways," he stated, bravely, and puffing his chest out to seem tougher. "They know where she is."

Before anyone could argue, a grounder came up from behind, chasing Roma and Diggs off. Harley stumbled back, nearly ramming into Jasper to get away from the grounder that ran after the two. "Roma, wait!" Harley called out desperately, fighting for breath, as watching her run off. Finn was the first to take off after the pair, making Harley follow in their direction, not caring how tired she was.

"Wait, could be more!" Jasper protested as they followed. "Stop - "

Coming to a pit stop, Harley froze in horror when seeing how Diggs ended up. He was leaning against a flat board that had spikes sticking out of it, digging into his chest. She gasped, her eyes widening as Jasper came to the realization. "They were leading us here," he stated. "It's the only direction we could run in."

Harley knew he was right. The grounders could kill them at any moment, there were traps all over in this spot of the woods. She forced herself to take her eyes off Diggs's body and took a glance around, afraid, but didn't see any grounders near them. "Where'd they go?" Harley asked, her voice quivering with fear.

Bellamy looked off in the way Roma had went. "After Roma."

"W-We have to help her," Harley stammered out, attempting to seem the least bit brave. The others agreed with her, and started running again. She sighed to herself, sparing a second to catch her breath, before taking off with them. She liked Roma, they were friends, and she didn't want to see her dead. She wanted to help her, bring her back to camp safely. Harley wanted to be safe. But she wouldn't be. No matter what she believed, there was no safe place on Earth.

Peering into the distance, Harley could see a figure leaning against the tree. She stopped, putting one hand on Bellamy's chest to stop him and using her free one to point forward, making him look at what she saw. "There she is!" She exclaimed, relieved.

"Sh!" Bellamy hushed her, glancing around to be sure no grounders heard Harley's outburst towards Roma. He quietly called her name out, but she didn't answer.

Confused, Harley stalked forward cautiously. "Roma?" She spoke softly, hoping she would answer, but a sick feeling turning into a pit of her chest. Once she was close enough, she saw what really happened. Roma was pinned against the tree, blood dribbling down her chin, and a long spear sticking out of her chest. "Roma!" Harley cried, tears welling up in her eyes.