Chapter Forty-Seven

Kestrel released Seraiah and took her hand, pulling her off the dais into the dancing faeries. Lonan followed silently behind them, his eyes wide as he took in the scene. Seraiah couldn't remember if she'd warned him about talking to the faeries or accepting anything from them. Hopefully, he knew the rules and wouldn't do anything to get himself in trouble when they were so close to getting out of there.

"Where are the others?" Seraiah had to shout to be heard over the music.

Kestrel waved her hand in response and kept pushing onward to the edge of the crowd. It wasn't until they reached the buildings that Kestrel finally stopped.

"They were in the crowd of dancers," she said. "They'll have seen the exchange and know to find us here."

A few minutes passed with no sign of them, and Seraiah was beginning to worry when they appeared out of the shadows, holding their belongings. They, like Kestrel, looked a little worse for the wear, but at least they were still alive.

"All right. Let's go," Kestrel said, accepting her saddlebag from one of the elves. "Our horses will be waiting for us, and we have a long journey ahead."

They made their way out of the main city and into the area with the strange houses.

Maescia and her group of faeries stood in the middle of the path, waiting for them. As when Maescia had found Seraiah returning to the Court with the golden scale, she didn't say anything. She gestured to the other fairies, and they handed over the horses. Once the exchange was complete, the faeries melted back into the shadows of the houses.

"Who's your new friend, Seraiah?" Kestrel asked, when they were alone again. She eyed the gnome, who was eyeing her right back.

"This is Lonan. Without his help, I wouldn't have been able to complete the quest," Seraiah explained as she secured her satchel to her horse.

Lonan puffed up at her praise.

"You have my thanks, Lonan of—" Kestrel waited for him to fill in the blank.

"Metrius," he supplied. "I am from Metrius."

"A gnome, then?" Kestrel raised an eyebrow. "I thought you and your kin didn't leave the underground."

He shrugged. "Some of us still have a sense of adventure."

Kestrel smiled. "And do you intend to take that sense of adventure to Nyrene? We must return there as soon as possible."

Seraiah bit her lip. If Lonan didn't want to go with them, he would be on his own to find his way back to Metrius.

"I would be honored to join the group if you'll have me," he said, bowing his head.

"Then on behalf of Prince Kaimana, I'll extend an invitation for as long as you'd like, and when you wish to return home, we can have it arranged," Kestrel said.

Lonan thanked her, and Kestrel went back to readying her horse. The other elves had already mounted and were waiting to leave.

"You'll have to share a horse with someone," Seraiah said to Lonan. "You can ride with me if you want."

He agreed and, with some help, was able to get the horse.

Once everyone was situated, they set out for Nyrene.

"This is my first time on a horse, you know," Lonan said as they followed behind Kestrel.

"And how are you liking it?" Seraiah asked. "You seem to be taking it much better than I did."

He chuckled. "I think I like it just fine. Not as exciting as riding a dragon, mind you, but it's much better than walking everywhere with these short legs." He patted his left leg good-naturedly.