Chapter 3 - Accepting responsibilities

Telugu words in the chapter : Garu - a word used as a suffix to a person's name (e.g. Amar garu) or designation (e.g. minister garu) as a mark of respect.

---***---

"Vicky boy. It's not really that bad. You can do it." Chris tried to convince him.

"Oh! Really? When was the last time I directed a two and half hour long movie with a budget of hundreds of crores that turned out to be critically acclaimed commercial success? Remind me." Vikram was sitting at Chris's home discussing his problems.

"Just because you didn't do it before, doesn't mean that you can't. Remember the Web series you directed three years ago? It was a sensational hit. It fetched you several awards." Chris reminded him.

"That's entirely different. I did it for fun. I didn't have anything to lose. Now I have a production house to answer to if the movie fails to impress people. And I don't think I should do this with the experience of a mere web series."

"What did Latha aunty say?"

"I was prepared to argue with her. But she didn't argue. When I said I can't do this she simply said okay. She said she didn't want to force me. I detected pain in her voice." Vikram was ready to do anything to see her smile. "What should I do Chris? I need an advice."

Chris sighed. "Look. You have always wanted to be a director. I feel you got an opportunity to live your dream. I agree it's a bit too much for a beginner. But I am sure you can handle it. You have a helpful and loyal team. Think about it."

Vikram thought for a while. After the initial shock wore off, it seemed like a very good opportunity. "Okay. I didn't sleep last night. Now let me sleep while you cook breakfast for me. Pancakes please."

"Excuse me! If you want breakfast come and help me in the kitchen." Chris dragged him along.

After the breakfast, Vikram called Latha. "Mom, ask all the important crew members to meet us at our office. It will be like a formal job interview. I will tell them how I am planning to work on this film and show them my web series. I will take up this responsibility only if everyone is impressed."

"Are you absolutely sure?" asked Latha.

"Yes. I must be mad. But yes. I worked on the script and pre-production along with dad. So, I think I have an idea how to handle this project." Vikram assured her.

"Thank you Vicky. Your father will be proud" said Latha.

---***---

The meeting went without any hiccups. Vikram was surprised to see that not just his mother, everyone else wanted him to be the director. He asked them to watch his previous work and give honest feedback before deciding.

"If there is anyone else, who can handle this project better than me, please go ahead and suggest the names." He requested them. He didn't want to be favored just because he was somebody's son. He wanted to earn it.

No one seemed to have any suggestions, because they still followed the age old tradition of the king's son being crowned the next king. They knew Vikram was the best option they had. If the movie failed, they could blame the new director and move on.

Latha and Chris were genuinely happy for Vikram. They vowed to help him in whichever way they could.

It took Latha five days to make the deal with the old production house. "The movie is ours now. Come and sign the papers." She called her son.

He went to his mother's office. It took a lot of time to complete all the formalities. He decided to wait outside while Latha finished all her meetings. He was happy that she got something to keep herself busy.