Chapter 16

Alex seems to have gotten better from his feverish episode as K-unit noted when they woke up a few hours later to Alex sitting at the dining table, nursing a cup of coffee. The kid did not move to acknowledge them as he stared at his cup, they moved as noisily as they could so that they wouldn't accidentally spook him. They settled at the dining table with their breakfast, eating comfortably in the silence. "I am sorry," Alex said softly, still not looking at them.
"What for?" Eagle asked, confused. The unit exchanged looks with each other, equally confused about the sudden apology. "I had been a burden," Alex said.
"Look, Alex. We are a unit and we will always be one, you are not a burden. You are our cub and we will take care of you no matter what, just like how you would have if it had been us." Wolf said firmly, holding Alex's gaze when the teen looked up at them. They watched Alex's expression carefully, there wasn't much they could pick up from the spy but it was a relief when they spotted a small smile that had graced his features when he looked back at his cup of coffee.

"Are you sure you are okay to be outside already?" Snake asked again as they are putting on their shoes. They were all worried about Alex as he had only been having a fever and seemed so close to dying just a few hours ago. "I will be fine."
"I know you will be fine now but what if going out now makes you unwell again?" Snake persisted, he knows that they have a mission to finish and the boy will make sure they finish it whether they like it or not but the spy shouldn't have to put his life on the line for this...
"How many time have you gotten ill on a mission and still went about your business?" Snake asked, narrowing his eyes at Cub as if daring him to lie to him. Alex shrugged, unlocking the door.
"Too many to count that's for sure," Alex said and was immediately out the door before anyone could stop him. Snake let out a soft string of curses as they quickly followed him with Fox locking the door behind them. Alex stood waiting for them some distance away knowing that this leaves them with no choice but to come out with him. "Why have they not stopped you? They should have pulled you out, there was no way you could have fended for yourself." Snake snarled angrily. Alex looked over at the team medic, the medic had every right to get mad but there was nothing they could do about it. "You forgot... Even Eagle said that I was so good at hiding it until it was over." Eagle jumped, the boy was so out of it they were so sure the boy would not have remembered it.
"We finish this quick and I can get you guys home safely."
"And you? You need to be safe too." Fox said pointedly. Alex chose to keep his mouth shut knowing that arguing with them about his safety would lead to nowhere except everybody getting angry and the unit in a shouting match.

They made their way to the yard where the other drug lords had arranged to meet up yesterday with Alex and Alex had settled most of the talking and translating over the many drinks they had. The teen had remembered that they had left together but split up at the front door, leaving Alex to make his way home alone in a drugged and intoxicated state, not that he was any less dangerous in that state. As they neared, the unit could hear them yelling. They weren't too sure what they were yelling at or what they were yelling about but Alex seemed curious as he headed for the commotion. They went through a door and down to another room before Alex lifted the flap that separated this room from the room they were walking through before. A man was strapped to the table and the others yelling profanities at him.
"What's going on?" Wolf asked no one in particular. They turn to see Alex's eyes turning cold and almost seems angry. The man seized his struggling when he caught sight of Alex. "What are you doing here?" The man had asked, confusing the unit greatly.
"Do you know him, Alex?" Fox asked, confusion etched on his facial features. Alex was about to answer when Mark turned around to walk to Alex.
"I presume this is the guy?" Mark asked and Alex gave him a slight nod. The unit watched on, even more confused than when they first arrived at this unknown junkyard with a house that has running water and electricity in the middle. "Would you like to do the honours?" Mark asked, gesturing to the man strapped down and the table full of tools for them to... Extract information. Alex looked over at the table then at the man and the cool mask of indifference still on his face despite remembering what had happened yesterday.