Chapter 15

Rick slept deeply, and no dreams bothered him that night. It could have been a blink of an eye when he sense the sunlight begin to lighten the room and his eyes opened, and yet he felt completely rested. Rested, but slightly sore in that wonderful way you are the morning after, he realized when he moved against the mattress.

Ruby was standing at the vanity, her jeans hung low on her curvy hips and no shirt to speak of. Instead, miles of perfect olive skin graced his vision and he couldn't tear his eyes away. The strap of her blue bra shown slightly under the curtain of hair that hung down her back as she looked into the mirror, washing her face and neck with a washcloth from the water basin. He laid there and watched her peacefully for a few moments while she remained unaware he'd woken.

She put the cloth down and began to run a brush through her long dark tresses, her eyes finally crossing the glass to him. He smiled at her and she chuckled.

"Morning." She whispered, putting the brush down and going to the foot of the bed. She reached for a black tank top and he leaned up quickly, grabbing her hand before she could put it on.

"Not yet." He murmured as he pulled her over the bed and onto his chest, and she relaxed against him, her hair tickling his chest.

"We have to get going. I already heard people up, probably going to march right in here soon. If they didn't already hear us last night." She grinned.

He shrugged, leaning in for a kiss. "Ask me if I care. I'm going to keep you here all day."

"Mm.." She said as their lips disconnected. "That'll go over well. Come on, Rick. Get dressed."

He let her pull him up and she stood, putting the top still clutched in her hand over her head. "Fine." He stood himself, getting dressed quickly and moving to the door. When he let himself out to go to the bathroom, she pulled her hair up into a messy bun on her head and went to find Paul.

Rick hurried, dressed in the cool bathroom, and went back downstairs to find her. She was in the kitchen, but he was surprised to see her not engrossed in her friend. Instead, she was chatting with Carol by the sink, her bottle of water to her lips. The kitchen table, however, was full. Paul sat surrounded by people, the closest of which was Beth. She sat looking up at him with a small smile as he spoke, and he kept directing his attention back to her in return. He interrupted the gathering with a sharp cough.

"Hey, you all ready to go?" He asked and Ruby snapped to.

"Yeah, but don't you want to eat first?" She tilted her head to the side questioningly.

He shook his head. "Nah, I'll do it when we get back."

"Well, let's do this, then." Paul stood and smacked his hands together, rubbing them quickly.

"Hey, Rick? Glen and me are gonna stay. Beth didn't get a chance to go last time." Maggie leaned back in her kitchen chair and spoke a little louder than usual. Rick noticed Beth give her a stern look, but Maggie just smiled a little.

"Alright then." Rick said and motioned for Beth to follow. Ruby leaned down and grabbed the stack of baskets and bags next to the door, following him outside.

"I'm glad you're coming." She grinned at Beth and the girl fell into step to her right.

"Maggie said it was great, I wanted to see it for myself."

"Here, Starlet." Paul said from behind her, sweeping the baskets away from her and putting them in the back of the truck they had taken to the garden last time. "Beth, you want to ride in the back?" He asked and the small girl's face lit up for a moment with a bright smile.