Chapter Sixteen

Tyler |

Irrupting from outside, an alarming thud, familiar in pitch, grabbed all of our attentions and immediately made us all go silent.

Reluctantly pulling away from Greyson, I stood to walk over to the window to peek out of the closed blinds.

Eyeing a familiar truck and stature of a man walking toward the front door, with my heart sinking into my stomach, I turned to helplessly look at Ellie.

Triggered to do the same, Greyson and Genevieve both looked over at him as well with growing concern and curiosity.

"Greyson," I whispered, watching him quickly turn to look in my direction as he shot up to run over to me eagerly, momentarily bringing a smirk to my face.

"Who is it," he whispered.

"It's Jordan... he's most likely here to look for Ellie–"

The loud shrill of the door bell rang throughout the house and made my heart skip a beat as I abruptly stopped whispering.

With my eyes darting about the room as I quickly thought of an idea, I began to take in a breath to speak.

"Greyson, I need you to answer it and get rid of him somehow. I can't go, because I was with Ellie when..."

Remembering that I hadn't even told Greyson about what happened earlier with Ellie's brother, I lost my train of thought.

"It's okay, I'll go," Greyson assured, sounding a bit unsure.

"No... I'll go," Genevieve interrupted with a whisper, making her presence known.

...

Greyson and I hastily followed Genevieve into the dark halls, walking as quietly as possible and being extra careful not to wake up my parents.

Watching as Genevieve seemed to levitate down the hall, being as light and quick as rushing water, I was a bit surprised, noticing how confidently she tip toed ahead of Greyson.

Slowing us both down, Greyson was being an adorable mess as he kept losing his balance trying to walk on his toes.

I stayed close behind him and found myself smirking in response to him clinging onto the wall for support.

Passing my parents' room, briefly narrowing my eyes down at the space before their door, I saw that there wasn't any light indicating that any one of them was awake.

I'm surprised the doorbell didn't wake them.

Genevieve turned to face us as she stood at the base of the stairs now, gesturing for us to stay back.

Glancing back at me, Greyson briefly grinned before letting it fade as he averted his eyes to watch Genevieve walk over to the front door.

Before she answered the door, Gen gestured for us to stay quiet, slowly turning the doorknob moments later.

"Oh... good evening, you must be Jordan?"

Jordan's distraught, worried expression, presumably in thought of Ellie, caught me off guard but didn't make me dislike him any less.