Chapter 1 | Coincidence?

Iman's POV

"Today, your schedule is pretty much free except for your meeting at 17:00 with one of our partners, Zane Industries. Afterward, there is a dinner event you must attend for the new collection launch of Saint Laurent at 19:00."

"Alright. Thank you, Harper."

She smiled before leaving my office but she looked like she was in a rush. Well, I guess that is how you should walk if you are my secretary. I make her do a lot of things but she gets it done before I even ask, which is what makes me love her as a secretary, even more. 

I sighed and stood up from my seat to look out the window. I whispered a small, silent prayer while doing so and thanked Allah for this life he has given me. From living in a small house to now owning a 25 story building, I've come a long way with his help.

I even thought back to when my father almost sold me off to a man just so he could pay for our expenses. I was almost a sacrifice. I never forgave him for that and my mother divorced him for even trying to do so. Ever since that, I have lived with my mother and my sister who is now 10.

As for my father, I haven't seen or contacted him in five years. He forced my other two brothers to stay with him and I haven't seen them ever since either. But all I know now is that my brothers are raising my father and Alhamdulillah they are fine and healthy. 

"Ms. Iman!"

I snapped back to reality from my thoughts and turned around to see Mr. Farah standing in my doorway. 

"Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Farah. I was in my own little world"

He chuckled and took a seat in front of my desk. I sat across from him and asked, 

"What were you here for?"

"I wanted to discuss some of our sponsors with you..."

~~~

The clock hit 17:00 and I was now walking to the meeting room where Zane industries were waiting. After opening the door, I formally greeted them and they all stood up and greeted me by shaking my hand. 

I know what you're thinking. A Muslim woman is grabbing hands with random men. But this is the norm once you're a businesswoman. You make all types of contact with gender. There is no special meaning to it besides politeness and I think nothing more of it. 

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen, let's hear what you have to say" 

I took my seat at the very front of the big table and looked at each and everyone's expressions. 

"Well, let's get straight to our topic. Our partnership with you has lasted for five years now. But, I'm afraid we want to terminate our contract with you, as well as our partnership."

"Sir, are you aware of what you're saying?"

I stood up from my seat in defense and felt my blood coiling.

"Yes, in fact, we're all aware of what I am saying. Also, these are not my words Ms. Iman. I would hate to break a beautiful soul like you with these words, but I'm afraid that our partnership is up to here."

I sighed from frustration but tried to hold a poker face. I mean, they're not our only partners but they are the reason this building is even alive!

"We are also aware that we will be taking part in our share in sales along with our departure - "

"Is there a way to prevent this from happening?"

I cut him off during the middle of his sentence but once I heard his response, I wasn't as relieved.