Chapter 41

Sitting on the floor in front of the couch, all six of us were playing 'Go Fish', only talking when asking for a card. All I could think about was what the judges thought of Brianna's performance, and if mine was enough.

"Madison?"

"Sorry, what?" I refocused back to the game.

"Do you have any fives?" Asia repeated. I glanced at my cards.

"Uh, yeah. Here." I handed her the card and went back into my thoughts, which were soon interrupted again, but by a producer.

"Alright ladies, head to the stage for your final elimination!" We all stood up slowly, and went around giving each other hugs.

"No matter what happens, I've loved getting to know both of you, and it's been an honor to perform with you two." I said sincerely to Brianna and Asia. I grabbed my moms hand as we headed to to the stage.

Standing in that line, I never realized how nerve wracking it actually was. I feel like every week I thought that was the most scared I had been, and that was nothing compared to tonight. My knees were shaking, and it felt like I was standing there for eternity.

"All three of you girls, have given a tremendous fight these past two months. You have shown that you are the top dancers in the country, and have earned your spot here tonight." Abby started off, and the audience clapped. "Asia, you are our diva. Brianna, you are our emotional dancer. Madison, you are our turner. All three of you are worthy of the title as Abby's Ultimate Dancer, but unfortunately we can only choose one. We have fought and fought over this decision. Asia, please step forward."

I squeezed my moms hand as Asia and Kristie stepped forward.

"Asia, you are a firecracker. You come out on that stage and leave everyone in shock by your talent. Technique comes with age, but you are a born performer. I'm sorry, but Asia, today is not your day." Abby eliminated Asia. Asia hugged her mom and thanked Abby. Brianna and I gave her a quick hug and she headed to the side. Brianna grabbed my hand and gave it a quick squeeze before dropping it. I looked over at dad, who was leaning forward in his seat, Riley and Nick who were showing me their crossed fingers, Ricky who looked totally confident again, and all the returning dancers holding hands, with Zack looking me dead in the eye, with his normal smirk.

"Madison, you are a true dancer. You step on the stage, and take us wherever you are, whether that's in the sixties, in Snow White's forest, the circus, or even a bar in New York. Every week we were on you about your face and emoting, and the truth is, you didn't always need it because you are that amazing of a dancer and a technician. Tonight, you stepped out on that stage, gave us a whole new Madison, you emoted, and it made your abilities rocket through the roof. It has been an absolute joy to watch you grow, and if you're ever in Pittsburgh, I'd love to have you on my team." Abby complimented me.

"Thank you." I exhaled a shaky breath.

"Brianna, from the day you walked in here, I knew you were a strong competitor. I knew you would be here until the end, and could win this whole thing. Every week, you showed us something different, and every week you took the corrections we gave you. Tonight you came out here, and I could see you attempting to fix the feet, and you were strong yet dainty at the same time, and you blew us all away, a theme we seem to have with you. You applied your corrections and are a terrific student." Abby complimented Brianna, making me rethink her comments to me. She knew Brianna could win this from the beginning, and she applied her corrections almost immediately every time- I didn't. It took me until tonight to get all three judges to like me, and now it's too late.

"Madison, today..." Abby released a deep breath and so did I. My whole body was shaking, and my mom had her hands on my shoulders, both of us preparing for the dreaded 'today is not your day' and the tears to follow. I prepared myself to hold in all the tears and to be happy for Brianna, and to not have a meltdown on camera, and reminded myself to be thankful for the experience.