Chapter Three: The Witching Hour

There must have been something in Miyu's dust that wiped my memory, because again, I could not recall what happened after I had been showered with it. The first thing that registered in my groggy mind when I awoke was the image of an armored warrior proudly posed atop a mountain. As I stirred out of my magic-induced trance, I realized the warrior was on a TV screen, the title menu of a video game playing triumphant music.

No ratty couches this time- I was at home, in my bed. It looked like someone had draped a blanket over me, but closer inspection revealed it to be a beach towel. I rubbed my aching head, utterly wiped by my surreal situation. Thinking about it now, it felt as though it were a dream, like it had never really happened at all. But I knew it had happened, because the Brooch of Spells was clipped to my collar, and the Witch's Kiss was burned into my wrist like a hot iron brand.

I stood up, yawning. I froze at the sound of distant crunching, like a predator grinding through bone. God, I hoped it wasn't another monster. I snuck out of my room and whispered across the floor in my socks, creeping toward the kitchen. The sound grew louder with every step. I gulped and turned the corner. Once I did, I nearly had a heart attack.

Aquamarine was rustling through the cabinets, ripping apart everything in sight. My eyes widened at the mess that was my kitchen, littered with dishes and food packages thrown about everywhere. I gasped at the sight of him digging around in a bag of chips. "What the hell!? What are you doing here?!"

Aqua dropped the chips. He looked like a kid who'd just been caught causing trouble. He sighed in a muffled voice, "Well, you caught me, Miss Midnight." His mouth was stuffed with food. Once he gulped it down, he continued, "Since I am your servant, I am welcome in your home now. Changeling policy states that I have free reign over the kitchen. It's a bit of a necessity. After all, how am I supposed to protect my witch on an empty stomach? But I must say, you certainly don't have much food here. I expected more than this. Anyway, good morning, Miss-"

"Charlotte Sakura," I finished. "I have a name, and it's Charlotte Sakura. You don't have to call me by that dumbass title. Just call me Charlotte."

Aqua raised an eyebrow. "Hmmm, your magical title displeases you? A witch's true name is a very important part of her self. I think it's a rather nice name myself. Miss Midnight. It rolls right off the tongue. But if that is what you demand, then I shall refer to you by your dull human name. Still, you could be much worse. I'm glad you're not one of those awful wicked witches who lashes their familiars with whips and makes them sleep on a bed of hay outside. Every one of those witches, well, I've eaten them up before the end of the first day."

Chills ran down my back. "Is that going to happen to me?"

Aqua licked some cake icing off his fingers. "Who said anything about that? We Changelings do not break our promises, but even we have standards. Just don't be a wicked witch and you won't get eaten. That is all."

"Like hell!" I snapped. "That is NOT all! Look at what you did to the kitchen! You ate all our food! My parents are gonna kill me if they come home and see this! I hope you're ready to go shopping with me today! And please, behave yourself!"

Aqua's blue eyes were open wide in shock. "Oh, dear me, how terrible! I had no idea humans murdered their children! I wouldn't want your parents to kill you, so very well, we shall be off shopping, Young Master!"

I rolled my eyes. "It's just an expression, you know. Oh, that's right, I forgot. Fairies take everything literally. Hey, Saki? Where are you?"

"Here..." a small voice called. The tiny Sugardancer crawled out from the inside of a mangled cereal box, his face twisted up in discomfort. "Owww...my stomach hurts, Charlotte-san..."