Chapter Five: A Maiden's Policy

Darkness.

All I could see, nothing but a void of endless pitch-black, the hollow emptiness biting into my soul. Even in that infinite sea of dark, all I could think about was my familiar. Watching his skin burn and his suit crumble to ashes, listening to the cries of sheer pain that escaped him as the flames tore into him like the jaws of a hungry beast. Was he okay? Did he survive? Was he still alive...?

As the coils of darkness bound me, I couldn't get those thoughts of my head. I feared him since I was a child, called him terrible things and treated him like a monster. And yet, he risked his very life...to save me. All because of my stupid decision. I should have never gotten between them. But I couldn't control myself, because I was reckless, and I was scared. I couldn't stand the thought of Miyu and the others being hurt, and I couldn't think of anything else to do to stop it. I lost my temper...and it led to this.

Even now, I didn't have the slightest idea as to where I was. The last memory I recalled was watching Aqua be burned alive by Suzaku Kuzuhara's flames, then seeing him lying on the floor, half-dead, surrounded by veils of choking black smoke. Something happened to me then. I couldn't explain it, but...something broke free. Whatever dark magic or energy that had been contained in the fragile shell of my body from the day I was born burst forth all at once, in the surge of black that spread from the wings that formed on my back. Every part of me- my bones, my muscles, my veins, my nerves, even my very soul- felt as though they were being ripped to shreds in that destructive onslaught. Even now, I was still trapped within it. Every moment I was in Bramblethorn Forest, it reminded me of that night. I should have never come back.

And then, the voices came.

"You did this."

"You were supposed to be watching her!"

"You had to protect her!"

"She's gone because you did nothing!"

"It's all your fault!"

They were right. I was no good to anyone at all. If I had only been a stronger person...I could have done something. But I'm such an idiot...I wimp out and don't want to fight...and then when I do fight...I get reckless and end up getting myself or others hurt. I always fail everyone when it comes to what really matters...which is why I'm always going to be alone.

Another voice called out to me. "Then you should do something about it. You can push yourself all you want, but no one will care. It won't change anyone's minds. They're all cruel. As time goes on, everyone will leave you behind...they're nothing but illusions. And like all illusions, they slowly fade away before death erases them forever. But that's okay...because you can change it. Destroy all the terrible things, all the people that betrayed you...and make the world your heaven."

I sank down into the neverending void, slowly consumed by tendrils of dripping black ink, inky arms that wrapped their embrace around me. Flowing, tentacle-like inky hair flowed out from my head and replaced my own. The darkness seeped into my bones...the sweet, loving darkness...

"Master, it is not time for that yet."

Aqua's gentle, smiling face greeted me, the only ray of light in that sea of black. He slipped his gloved hands beneath my cheeks and pushed my chin up to make him look me in the eye.

"Believe me, your time will come eventually. But when it does...I will be there to see you off. Now, Master...it is time to wake up."

He drew himself closer to me and connected his lips with mine. My gasp was stifled by his kiss. Chills bristled through me, even as my blood was boiled. The black ink swallowing me melted away, and I was drawn into my familiar's warm embrace, still wondering if I was kissing a dead man...