🌟Chapter 4🌟

We saw the first streak of light flash across the sky around ten. Jasper got up to push record on the camera for me. The temperature had dropped again and if I had to guess, it was around twenty degrees. The fire was crackling merrily. I had Jasper's jacket and a blanket to keep me warm and s'mores to fill me up.

By ten-thirty the sky was full of white, blue, green, and the occasional red streak from meteors filling the atmosphere. It lasted for about an hour and was the most stunning celestial event I'd ever witnessed. Once it was over I grabbed my camera and turned it on myself.

"Hey mom and dad." I smiled as big as my frozen face would allow. "It's Saturday night, October twentieth, and right now you guys are in some Spanish hotel and we're freezing atop Wendigo Falls." I turned the camera around on Jasper who was breaking down my tripod. "This is my new friend Jasper Whitlock. He's been protecting me from bears."

"Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Halliwell. No need to worry, your daughter is in very good hands." He winked at me as I turned it back around.

"Anyway, it's cold and dark and late so we're going to bed soon. We have a long hike back to civilization tomorrow. And I just wanted to say I love you, and by the time you're watching this it'll be Christmas so, Merry Christmas!"

🌟

The sun was well into the sky when I woke up the next day. Not that it could be seen thanks to the heavy cloud cover. I looked over at Jasper but his deep breathing told me he was still asleep. I yawned quietly and stretched. Jasper was between me and the exit. Since I was awake I figured I could make some coffee.

I went to sit up and that's when Jasper rolled over and his arm ended up across my waist. I tried to slowly move it away but Jasper pulled me closer. We were face to face, his breath tickled my face and moved some of my hair. Up close he was even more gorgeous. Tentatively I reached up and touched his hair. It was so soft and longer than I realized, he could have pulled it back into a ponytail and maybe even a braid. His eyes opened.

"Morning." I whispered.

"Good mornin', darlin'." He didn't let me go and I didn't want him too.

"You're really cold." I pulled my blanket over him and scooted closer.

"Poor circulation. It's a curse," he informed me. My eyes fell to his lips; I found myself moving my lips closer. "Are you hungry?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said. He was up and out of the tent before I untangled my confused self from the blankets.

🌟

"So tell me everything." Shirley and I were ice skating at the rink downtown. As a northern state ice skating was pretty much a year round pass time. I would have preferred to go to one of the many outdoor rinks, but Shirley had won the coin toss. Brandon worked here and he was helping a little girl put on her skates. We hadn't gotten a chance to talk since I'd come back yesterday. Shirley's two brothers had come down with the flu so she stayed home to watch them while her parents were at work.

"The shower was absolutely amazing. I think my parents are really going to love their Christmas present," I told her as we rounded a corner to the less populated area of the rink.

"That's all well and good but you know what I'm talking about." She gave me a saucy look.

"Jasper's a gentleman, Shirl."

She looked skeptical and said, "So he's a dying breed but I can tell you're holding something back."

I bit my lip and skated to the edge of the rink so we wouldn't be overheard. "I sort of tried to kiss him."