🌟 Chapter 34 🌟

"Theo, sit down." Mr. Marx was a cheerful man with hair just going grey at the temples. I had interrupted him in the middle of a project. A huge sheet of drafting paper lay on his work desk. A large gust of wind rattled the windows making me jump slightly. "Awful about this weather. I can't remember the last time it was only forty degrees in June."

    "Yes," I agreed. "I was looking forward to what little sunshine we could expect." The file containing the information on my father felt heavy and awkward. I clutched it to my chest like a frightened child would a teddy bear at night. A loud clasp of thunder hit directly above the house and the dogs downstairs went nuts. Toby's loud bark was distinctive above the others. Suddenly I felt like I was a child again. He set aside his glasses and shut off the lamp above his drawing. "I can come back if you're busy."

    "No, no, I need a break, my back is starting to cramp. Don't ever get old Theo it's very annoying. There was a time I could sit like this all day but now I'm lucky to get even six hours." He stepped from his stool and started stretching. "What can I do for you?"

    I sat down in a chair while he continued his yoga routine. The words dried up in my mouth. Heaviness filled my chest and felt like it was squeezing my heart and lungs. What if he didn't know anything about it?

    "Are you alright, child? You've gone green."

    "Yes." I choked out in a weak voice. Mr. Mark stopped his stretches and got me a bottle of water from the little fridge under his desk.

    "Are you sure? I can have some food brought up."

    "No, I'm fine." I took a gulp of water and tried to compose myself. "I need to talk to you."

    He sat across from me with a concerned look. "Of course."

    Slowly and shakily I gave him the file. I hadn't altered it at all except to take out the sticky note that indicated blackmail from someone. From the look on Mr. Marx face it was plain he had a pretty good idea what was within. He opened it and after a second nodded confirming his suspicions.

    "I'm sorry you've discovered this. Your father didn't want you to know."

    "But you knew?"

    "Yes. Did he give you this?" He closed the file set it aside.

    "No, I found it by accident. He doesn't know that I did."

    "I see." Mr. Marx pushed his hair back from his eyes. "What is it you want to know?"

    "I just couldn't believe it. Dad never goes into casinos or even talks about gambling. He won't even bet on the Super Bowl."

    "Dimitri has come a really long way. Your father understands his limits very well when it comes to his addiction." He paused. "I know about it because I was the one who got him into poker and the like."

    "What?"

    "It was for fun. My grandfather taught me how to play and I taught your father. It was harmless and Dimitri is very good. Another friend of his, Tim Woodard joined us from time to time. Before the falling out, I don't know what caused it but, anyway that's not important. Dimitri has always been gifted in math. You get that from him. It was a long time before I began to see he had a problem. It was me who bailed him out a number of times when he landed himself in jail. Money in the right hands kept it out of the papers so not many here know about it."

    "And my mom?" My stomach twisted at the thought that this might have been kept from her. It was one thing to hide such things from your children, but your spouse?

    "Jean is a remarkable woman. She encouraged him to get help and tried to do the best she could. Then your grandfather died and it sent him into a downward spiral. This was shortly before you were born. Your dad swore he would never go down that road again for your sake."

    "But he did," I said with a sinking heart. 

    "Yes." He paused again. "Dimitri is only human, and he wasn't quite as disciplined in his behavior back then as he is now. When your grandfather died sole ownership of the company and a great deal of money was left to Dimitri. His father's death really affected him and your mom thought he needed some time away. They went to Montana. He fell off the wagon there. To make matters worse, he'd gambled and lost a lot of money he shouldn't have, it put his company in dire straits and family on the brink of financial ruin. Once Jean found out she nearly left him. He hadn't said a word to anyone about it. I payed off all his debts. And over the years Dimitri has paid me back completely with interest. You have nothing to worry about."

    "So the lien that's mentioned in there isn't active?" A big relief washed over me.

    "No not anymore, I assure you. After Montana your parents split up for six months while he got the help he needed. He's put this entire thing behind him and he doesn't gamble anymore, I promise."

    I breathed easier hearing that. "But why didn't he tell me?"

    Mr. Marx leaned forward and put his hand on mine. "He was afraid you wouldn't respect him. It is one of a parents' worst nightmares to be thought of badly by their children. Dimitri was just doing what he thought was best for you. He really is a changed man, Theo."