42- Love Her Right

Protect, love and sacrifice may seems only like a romantic words. In fact, this can put two entire kingdoms at stake. One woman. Two emperors . It will be easier if he's an emperor, but now, he's only a crown prince.

The crown prince walks in big steps to the emperor's study. Greeted by Bai Lu who stares at him in a weird way.

"This crown prince requests to meet the emperor at his study." He declares.

"Why?" Bai Lu doesn't even show respect in his tone.

"Because this crown prince have something important to talk about."

"Important thing should be discussed at the court." Bai Lu stills reject him.

"This is about the empress."

"Huh?" Now Bai Lu is interested. If it's about the empress, obviously it's not a court discussion.

"Can I meet him now?"

"This way, your majesty."

________

The emperor who eavesdropped Bai Lu and crown prince, gets a little shocked when the door is opened. Bai Lu quickly announces Crown Prince's arrival. The emperor who is already curious immediately let him sit.

"What brings the crown prince here today?" He asks

"..."

"Bai Lu, you can leave."

Bai Lu obviously doesn't want to leave, but it seems like the crown prince won't start talking until he does. So he half heartedly walks away.

The emperor sips his tea impatiently.

"This is a serious talk." The crown prince exhales deeply.

The emperor pours tea to his own cup and sips silently. He waits for the crown prince to continue.

"Do you love her?"

".."

"The empress, do you really love her?"

"Crown prince?" The emperor doesn't expect him to be this straight to the point.

"Because I do." The crown prince looks very stern.

The emperor stops.

"I am willing to give this whole entire world to her. I don't care how much does it cost."

"Crown prince.. the empress is my wife." The emperor feels uncomfortable with this topic. He fixes his robe and continue, "you can't say something like this to her husband. This is a capital crime."

"Yes, the empress is your wife. But Lu Qing Yu, do you love her?"

The crown prince doesn't want to let the emperor to brush it off with lawfully-correct statement. He needs to know.

But the emperor doesn't seem like telling the crown prince anything. This could be a political move to ruin his kingdom, or worse, to hurt the empress. So he keeps his straight face.

The crown prince smiles. He understands.

"I want to talk to you as a person. Not Lian's Crown prince. A person who deeply in love with your wife, not your empress."

"Crown prince.." The emperor feels uneasy every time the crown prince confess his feelings.

"Lian Tian it is."

"This is very inappropriate." The emperor keeps his guards up.

"You are very cautious, aren't you?" The crown prince scoffs.

"Wise men will always be cautious around their enemies."

"You love her, don't you?"

"W-why do you t-think that way?" The emperor stutters.

"Because I would do the same way if I were you." The crown prince looks straight at the emperor's eyes, giving sense of securement.

"The moment an emperor fall in love, the kingdom will also fall. That's why they built royal harem. To save the woman, the emperor and the empire." Lian Tian quotes a famous poetry. The one every born ruler studied, memorized and live by.

The emperor looks at him. He understands, he thinks. The only one who ever understands him. The emperor smiles at him, feeling at ease.

"I am your enemy, yet here I am telling you my weakness." The crown prince laughs. "Do you want to know why?"

"I don't care."

The crown prince scuffles, "we are enemies in both politics and beauty, but I have the same goal as you."

"And what is that?"

"I want her to be happy."

"..."

"And you," The crown prince points at him. "You are her happiness."

"Lian Tian I-"

"So I want to make sure, can you promise me her happiness?"

The emperor looks down, can he? He wants to, but all of his efforts seem failed. But finally the emperor answers.

"Lian Tian, I love her. With all my heart and soul." The emperor talks slowly giving meaning in every words.

"Good." It is hard for the crown prince, but he is happy to know that. He gulps down his broken heart. A tear almost fell down, but he resisted. He takes a deep breath and say, "then act like you do."

"I..I'm-"

"I wish you know that all you did until now, is hurting her."

"I never meant to do that.."

"I'll leave her to you, but if you fail to make her happy, I won't give you any second chance." The crown prince stands and prepares to leave.

He walks slowly to the door, leaving his heart behind. When he passes this door, that will be the end of his fight for the empress.

"I don't know how!" The emperor suddenly stands, stopping crown prince's step. He swallows his pride to say it, but if it's for the empress's happiness, it's worth it. "I don't know how to make my wife happy.." he says in a low voice.

The crown prince looks back at the emperor, he can see his sincerity. He took a deep breath.

"I'll tell you how."

OMG it's been forever 😭😭 I'm so sorry for the hold. Idk that college will be this busy.. But thank you very much for everyone of you who is still reading. And we hit 200k reads already! I'm so happy for your support! Have a nice one everyone ❤️