Chapter 2

Word Count: 1,257

It was only a week into the term, but I already felt weighted down with work, not to mention the fact that there was a full moon this week. I threw my quill down on the table and dropped my face into my hands. James and Sirius chuckled at me. I glanced at them, then their game of wizard's chess.

"Aren't you two at least going to try to keep up some of your grades this year?" I questioned. Remus shook his head without looking up from his notes, and Peter grinned.

Sirius laced his fingers behind his head and leaned back in his chair. "Nope." He smirked at me, and I rolled my eyes.

"We figure," James folded his hands under his chin, "that we'll be able to get by with our amazing Quidditch skills."

"Yeah?" I replied. "And what happens when you don't get onto Puddlemere United?" I cocked an eyebrow at them.

"Oh, trust me, Lills, that won't ever be a scenario," Sirius grinned. I stuck my tongue out at him before turning back to my work.

By the time I had finished my essay, the common room had mostly cleared out. Now it was only Remus, Sirius, and me, as James and Peter had gone to bed. I think Sirius had fallen asleep on the table, but I didn't mind. I set my quill down, crossed my arms, and laid my head sideways so I was looking at Sirius.

A handful of his curls had fallen in his eyes and his mouth was open slightly. I reached over and brushed my fingers through his hair, pushing it off his face. The corner of Sirius' lip twitched up, but his eyes remained shut. In my peripheral vision, I could see Remus grinning over the edge of his book.

"Siri," I whispered. "Time for bed." Sirius let out a muffled grumble. I tapped his nose lightly. A moment later, his stormy gray eyes opened lazily and met mine. He gazed at me, bleary-eyed, then went back to sleep. I sighed. "Fine, sleep on the table. See how your neck enjoys it in the morning." Sirius let out a groan then sat up abruptly.

"Alright." He pushed back in his chair and stood. Stretching his arms, he said, "Well, see you in a bit, Moony, and night, Lills." Sirius leaned down and pressed a brief kiss to my forehead, then sauntered off to the stairs. I turned in my chair to see him disappear around the curve. Slowly, unconsciously, a grin spread across my face. Remus chuckled from beside me. I turned to him.

"Did he really just do that?" I asked. Remus nodded and began packing up his stuff.

"I believe he did. Happy?" I nodded enthusiastically.

"Absolutely."

Remus shook his head fondly. He ruffled my hair before standing and bidding me goodnight. I waved him away dismissively and sat back in my seat.

Sirius had never showed any type of affection like that. With me, he would punch my arm or ruffle my hair, but kisses? Never in a million years. That was new.

Most might think it strange that my twin brother was so laid back about me loving one of his best friends, but it was normal. At first Remus had been a little uncertain, given Sirius' personality, but eventually it grew on him. I think he figured it was better for his sister to be in love with one of his best mates rather than some random bloke from another House.

The only problem was Sirius never returned my affections. At least not that I knew of. James had been hinting over the last few days that Sirius might have started feeling about me the way I do him. I told James to stop telling me that, if only to stop getting my hopes up.

I lay in bed that night with a million dreams keeping me awake. When did Sirius start feeling different about me? How long had he felt different?

I dreamed of a wolf and a large black dog cuddled up together. Then suddenly a falling star landed next to the pair. Only the wolf was left when the smoke cleared.

"Lillie!" I bolted up in bed, eyes wide. Marlene flung open the curtains to my bed, and I immediately yanked my sheets over my face.

"Make it go away!" I moaned.

"No! You need to get up or you'll be late for class!" Marlene replied. The covers were torn off me a moment later, and I reluctantly rolled out of bed.

"Hurry up, Ana!" Lily called. "I'll meet you at breakfast." She slung her bag over her shoulder and left the room. The door swung shut with a loud bang! I stripped from my pajamas and pulled on my skirt and stockings, buttoning up my shirt with clumsy, tired fingers.

"Here's your tie, Ana," Alice said, tossing it on my trunk. I grabbed it and draped it around my neck.

"You two can go, I'll be down in a minute," I told Marlene and Alice.

"We'll wait," replied Marlene. I didn't say anything but in my head red flags were flying everywhere. Marlene was rarely ever nice to me. When she was, it was only because she wanted something.

I grabbed my bag and followed the girls out. As we made our way down the stairs, Marlene linked arms with me. Sirens and flashing lights blared through my head. A list of possibilities ran through my head, trying to figure out what Marlene was planning. A minute later, my question was answered.

Leaning against the wall by the portrait hole were my brother, Frank Longbottom, and Sirius. I rolled my eyes as Marlene giggled, attempting to look flirty. Alice's cheeks were tinted pink, causing me to smile. I always thought she and Frank would be cute together. Everyone did. I would honestly be surprised if they didn't end up together. Since I spent so much time up in the boys' room, which Frank shared, I often gave advice to Frank, most often about Alice.

"Hi Sirius," Marlene flirted. She twirled a piece of hair around her finger, looking absolutely ridiculous. I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest as Sirius wrapped an arm around Marlene's waist. The two of them climbed through the portrait hole together.

Remus squeezed my hand as he passed. I followed my brother through into the corridor. "I hate it," I told Remus as we followed Sirius and Marlene down the stairs to the Great Hall. "I hate her."

"You don't," Remus countered. "You hate that he likes her, but you don't hate her."

"Whatever." I glared at the back of Marlene's head. She giggled at something Sirius said then kissed his cheek. "Do you have to do that in front of everyone?" I asked loudly, pushing past the two of them into the loud Great Hall.

Lily waved me down from the end of the Gryffindor table. I joined her and immediately started piling food onto my plate. "Calm down, Ana," Lily mumbled.

"Why? It's not like anyone cares how I feel," I said, directing my words at Sirius, who had taken the seat across from me.

"Whoa, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning," commented Sirius.

I huffed. "Shut up." Sirius put his hands up in a gesture of surrender. Remus kicked me under the table.

"You could be nicer," he muttered.

"I'll be nicer when he realizes I have feelings too," I hissed before standing up. I stalked out of the Great Hall, shoving a piece of toast into my mouth.