Chapter 6

Word Count: 1,190

Morning rays of sunlight left criss-cross patterns on my quilt. I rolled over only to be met with the confused face of Lily Evans.

"Since when were you and Potter together?" For a moment, I stared blankly at her, then her words processed and my eyes widened. Lily stepped away from the bed and began to pace. "And why am I finding out from Marlene of all people? I should be finding out from you! I'm only your best friend!"

"I was going to tell you, but last night you were too drunk to even know what was going on around you!" I explained defensively. Lily deflated a bit at my comment. She always felt embarrassed when someone called her out on drinking. Which wasn't often.

Lily looked away, finally saying, "Well, you still should have told me. I want to know that kind of thing!" I grinned at my best friend before chucking a pillow at her.

"You always need to be involved," I laughed.

"I do! You know this already. Now hurry up, we've got to get to Hogsmeade soon. I need to start my Christmas shopping. Oh, and we need dresses for the New Years' Ball!"

It's only November, Lils, we have plenty of time!"

"Never too early to start!" She called as she waltzed out of the room.

----

A crisp breeze blew my hair all over the place. "I hate wind," I sputtered, hooking a finger around the strand of hair caught in my mouth.

Remus chuckled. "You know, if you cut your hair..."

"Over my dead body," I replied darkly. Remus raised his hands in surrender as the boys laughed. James threw an arm around my shoulder, at which Sirius abruptly quieted himself. I tried not to let it bother me, but I couldn't help wondering what he was thinking in that handsome head of his.

"How long exactly has this..." Peter gestured at James and I, "Been going on?"

James shrugged nonchalantly. "A while I guess. I mean we've both been in love with different people for a while and we'd go to each other to talk about it, so it's been kind of a slow burn."

"Oh yeah?" Sirius questioned. "So who did you love, Lilliana?" His question caught me off guard but the use of my full name was like a slap in the face.

James replied, "You, actually." I dropped my book.

Sirius' eyebrows scrunched up. "Pardon?" Remus and Peter looked on in horror. James elbowed me in the side.

"Right, that." I shifted my weight to my left foot, looking anywhere but Sirius' gray eyes. Reaching down to grab my book, I said, "I'm over it now, anyway. You know, because of...James. And all that." The boy next to me nodded.

"Totally over it!" James said. "Just like I am over Evans in any and every way possible."

Remus rolled his eyes. Of course my twin would be the one to doubt. He knew the both of us better than anyone. "Well, lads, I guess it's just the three of us today," Remus commented. "I'm sure these two will want the day to themselves."

"Oh, no! We were planning to...spend the day with you." My eyes met Remus' and he hid a smug smile.

"Oh really?" Sirius asked condescendingly. "Why on Earth would the happy couple not want time on their own?" He didn't wait for an answer and instead stalked off down the path toward Hogsmeade.

----

First stop: Honeydukes. Obviously. I could never resist the intoxicating scents drifting out the door and always found my way into the sweet's shop eventually.

"Let me pay," James said as I dumped my sugar haul on the counter.

"James, I can't." I pushed his hand away from his pocket where he had been reaching for his wallet.

"Come on, let me do this. I'm your boyfriend."

I glanced around before whispering, "You're my best friend, meaning you are not obligated to actually pay for anything."

"But how would that look to everyone else if I don't pay for you?" He knew he won the argument because a second later, the sickles and knuts had already changed hands and the shopkeeper was scooping everything into a bag. I sighed and took the bag from the shopkeeper.

"You didn't have to do that," I told James again as we left the shop. He shrugged.

We headed over to Three Broomsticks, planning to meet up with Remus and Lily and Peter. Sirius had ditched the others in favor of spending the day with Frank Longbottom. James pulled open the door and a wave of warmth rushed over us. In the corner by the bar, I spotted Regulus with some of his Slytherin friends. He looked up and caught my eye. I smiled, and he nodded then went back to his drink.

"Why do you acknowledge the little Black?" James asked.

"Because I actually tolerate him. He's not so bad if you get to know him. Besides, it's one of the easiest ways to piss off Sirius." James twisted his head to follow my gaze and saw his best friend in the opposite corner with Frank, Alice, and Marlene.

"Right. Let's get drinks." He tugged me over to an empty booth and pulled me in next to him. "Two butterbeers," he told the waitress.

As James and I waited, I could feel the eyes of almost every Hogwarts student focused on us. Of course they would be. James and I appeared as a couple, and people stared. Because it was unusual. Out of the ordinary.

As it turned out, though, the staring was to our advantage as Sirius' eyes did not leave me, and a moment later, Lily walked in with my brother and Peter.

"I will never get used to this," Lily said, taking the booth across from James and me.

"You should," replied James. He turned to me and took my hand, playing with my fingers. The waitress brought us our drinks, and James nodded in thanks, handing her a few sickles.

"Hey, Lillie, we should go dress shopping today," Lily suggested. "Want to get a good one before they're all gone."

I sighed. "Whyyyyy..." Dress shopping was one of my least favorite things in the world. Lily grabbed my hand.

"Please! James can come to," she added, as if that made it better.

"No because-" I cut myself off abruptly. I couldn't say no because he'll just mess around the whole time. Lily would doubt that.

She crossed her arms. "Why not? Don't you want to coordinate?"

"Why on Earth would would we-" I elbowed James sharply in the ribs. "Oh."

"Yeah, oh. What? Did you forget she's your girlfriend or something?" James's eyes widened.

"N-no," he sputtered. "I just meant... this might not work out and we'll just," he made a few strange hand gestures, "be friends again...then. When the dance comes."

"Already having doubts, Jamsie?" He gave me a look, at which Remus chuckled. I shoved his shoulder. "I'm just messing, Prongs."

James threw me a grin and tossed his arm over my shoulder. "Thank Merlin for that!"