─14.

"DEATH HAS NEVER BEEN CLOSER," Sean muttered, hands astray

"DEATH HAS NEVER BEEN CLOSER," Sean muttered, hands astray. "Holy shit, we're all going to die!"

Coming to believe that I was panicking would've been the understatement of the century. Thick layer of sweat sat on my hands as I gripped the steering wheel with all my might, hard enough to make my knuckles look as pale as falling snow. And when I couldn't be more relieved—and I meant that in utmost satire—the idiots sitting behind me had to tell me that our lives were, in fact, endangered.

"Stop speaking," I sighed as I continued to focus my eyes on the road. "Just tell me if we're still being followed!"

Evan whipped his head backwards, and immediately cursed. "Shit, yes—take a right turn!"

I did as I was told.

The fact that this was the first time I had ever been into the city made me beyond nauseated. Evan nudged me from time to time, telling me to keep taking sharp cuts and turns in order to leave them behind. My body was burning like it had been lit on fire, and sweat rolled down the back of my spine, making me feel uncomfortable—as though I was missing the feeling of disgusting dampness on my body.

Adrenaline was something I was so grateful for, because I hadn't driven in months—and the first driving situation I had to face was this.

Sean was still praying like he was on his death bed—but we kind of were. "God, please save us, for we have done nothing to deserve this—"

Chloe laughed nervously before uttering the most pleasant words. "I. . .I don't think we're being followed anymore."

I turned to Evan as a reflex. When he nodded in confirmation, I hit the brake, closing my eyes dramatically. The minivan which now felt a bazillion years old came to a screeching halt—and as if I were a part of a fearsome battle, plopped my body onto the driver's seat as if my soul were no longer a part of me. Everybody did the same as well, but Evan continued to stare at me.

"Jesus Christ."

I didn't have it in me to give any sort of reply. A second ensued before he broke the silence, voice consumed with concern. "Are you. . . okay?"

For a second, I thought he might be ridiculing me like the countless other times. But when I switched my gaze to his, his eyes were softened and genuine, making me nod. "Just tell me we aren't being followed and I'll be fantastic."

"We aren't," he muttered, voice a soft spur of words, all before handing me a water bottle. "Here."

I took a huge chug before wiping my mouth and handing him the bottle back. He continued to stare at me, but this time I could read what his eyes said—he looked at me like I was the most ludicrous person on this planet. His hand was almost touching mine, and my gaze fell on his ring-studded fingers for no reason at all before he spoke again.