Chapter 38

Chapter 38 

Docking the shuttle saved Cheung from having to answer. He found Captain Farrell intimidating and even the mere thought that he might be interested in him was thoroughly nerve wracking. He thought the Captain could chew him up and spit him out before breakfast. He resolved to keep his distance at all costs. 

Meanwhile, the Captain switched instantly back into his professional mode, as if their personal conversation had never happened, straightening his shoulders and refocussing all his attention on Shehu who had come to meet him. 

"How are you sir? I think you need to talk to the crew as soon as possible. They have been plaguing me with questions all afternoon!" 

Farrell turned briefly to thank Cheung for the transport and then strode off beside his First Officer, both of them talking fast in low voices. 

The Captain went straight to the bridge, making sure his message was broadcast throughout the ship as well as to the fifteen or so men present. "As you may have all heard, someone put at least two explosive devices in the Diell's shuttle. As a result, Lieutenant Nguyen, Crewmen Carmody, Weiss, Yamamoto and Ironsi are all in the infirmary on the Voyager with explosive concussion and the shuttle has been damaged beyond repair." He looked around the room, hearing the indrawn breath, seeing the shock on more than a few faces. 

"Unfortunately we can't escape the fact that those devices were planted by someone on board this ship. If anyone can shed any light on the matter, or has seen or heard anything unusual, please come and see me or one of the other officers." 

Shehu stepped forward, his face serious. "What Captain Farrell hasn't told you is that those five men are lucky he was on board and recovered quickly from the blast. If he hadn't been able to make sure their masks were properly fitted again after the explosion, those men would have died." He paused to let that sink in, then added, "And if the Voyager's shuttle had been only a couple of minutes later in reaching them, they would have all died. At this stage we don't know what the motive is behind the attack but we do know one thing. Whoever he is, this man doesn't care who he takes out, we are all at risk. As of now, everyone will work in pairs, no one is allowed near any equipment by themselves." He went on to explain how the temporary system would work. 

Aaron Harris sat motionless as he listened to the voice of the man he hated most in the world, the man who had ruined his family. He supposed it was lucky he was in the refectory, he could hold his coffee cup in front of his lips to disguise his expression from the men opposite. His hand trembled slightly. He had been so close! How the fuck had Farrell escaped? What had gone wrong? He had been certain the explosive devices would have torn the shuttle apart, they were small but he had been assured they had enough power to put a hole through the hull. When they landed on Capella he would seek out the man who had sold them to him and demand an answer, get his money back. His mind skittered around, from one idea to another, it would be hard to get another opportunity while on board the Diell but he couldn't give up now, not when he had come so close! 

XXX 

"Will you come to my quarters tonight?" Shehu murmured to Petrov, at the end of the impromptu meeting. "I want to see you, please?" 

Petrov considered a teasing reply that he would have to check his schedule first, but one look at the intensity in Shehu's eyes changed his mind. "Yes." 

Shehu relaxed a fraction. He had something important he wanted to say to the other man and he didn't want to wait any longer. Everything had been moving so fast, it was hard to believe they had only had one night together. The previous evening he had been occupied sorting out Morales and Boyku and he and Petrov hadn't been able to catch up with each other. He had fretted all night. 

He was waiting at the door when he let Petrov in later that evening. They were in each other's arms as soon as the door closed. "Damn! I told myself I wouldn't do that, I'd talk to you first." Shehu murmured as he paused for breath.  

Petrov looked questioningly at him and tried to draw back, that sounded scary, but Shehu held him even tighter, their hips melded together. "I know it might be too soon but I can't wait any longer. I want more than a brief affair, I want us to be together, just us, no-one else. I got sick with jealousy when I thought you were with the Captain and then I realised afterwards, that we'd never actually talked about having a relationship together. I knew from the first minute you smiled at me I didn't want anyone else." He looked searchingly at Petrov. "I need to know ..." he backed away at the last minute, it was too soon to put pressure on him, to expect Petrov to feel the same way. Sure he'd said he loved him, but he knew it didn't count, Alexei had only said that when he had been trying to stop him from killing the Captain. 

"So, you're asking me to commit to an exclusive relationship?" Petrov asked thoughtfully. "Now?" He hadn't quite forgiven Shehu yet. He obviously hadn't believed anything he had said the other day. 

"Yes, I am," Shehu sounded a little uncertain, but his arms were tightening unconsciously like a vice around Petrov's waist. 

"Hmm. I suppose that includes no more one night stands at the All Stars?" Alexei allowed a doubtful note to creep into his voice. 

"Would that be alright? Do you think you could make do with just me?" Shehu wondered how he would cope if Alexei went with someone else even once, but maybe he would have to if he didn't want to risk losing him entirely.  

For a split second, Petrov hovered on the edge of feeling deeply offended, but the grip Shehu had on him was more telling than the words coming out of his mouth. He started walking Shehu backwards towards his bedroom, pushing hard against his resistance. 

"I suppose group sex is out entirely then, even with four pretty boys?"  

Shehu stared uncomprehendingly. He'd never been more serious in his life. Was Alexei teasing him? 

His lover shook him, not gently. "You deserve that I should be very angry with you! What part of 'I love you' is so hard for you to understand? Let me spell it out for you again. I love you! Yes, of course I want a relationship with you. Just you, nobody else." 

Shehu still felt a bit shaky, but he stopped resisting as Petrov pushed him nearer the bedroom. "I love you too you know!" He just realised he hadn't actually told Petrov that. What an idiot! 

"That's good to hear," Petrov kissed him then smiled wickedly, "but don't think it's going to get you out of apologising again. At the rate you're going, you won't get to be on the top again for at least a week, maybe two!"