Phase 3, part 2

The apparent rightness of what I'm planning to do soothed my mind so much I could have a short, yet peaceful and refreshing sleep

The apparent rightness of what I'm planning to do soothed my mind so much I could have a short, yet peaceful and refreshing sleep. The first thing I do in the morning is checking whether the box is still where it's supposed to be.

Yes, it's right there. Just a few centimeters away from my new heart.

Today is the day I will start pursuing my own destiny. It's do or die.

I put on some clothes and take a deep breath, trying to calm down. Today, the thing which tried to kill Zoya must be kept on a tight leash. If I lose my temper again, it can - and will - result in my death. This will be the ultimate test of my willpower and I'm determined to pass it.

What I need is on the bottom floor of the AVIA Mall where I go using an elevator. There is an underground garage holding numerous cars used to transport goods from the Mall to resellers. I take a look at one of them. The large van seems to be pretty sturdy, in metallic gray color with the company's logo on the side.

They are unlocked by the employee ID cards - fortunately, as the employees left in a hurry, there are many of them scattered around the city. I managed to lay my hands on one of them - it belonged to a guy named Aaron Llewelyn. A strange name indeed.

If everything goes well, it can become my ticket to freedom.

However, as I try to unlock the van, I hear a voice behind me.

"Up so early, Isaiah? What do you need that car for?"

I clench my fists - this is the very last thing I wanted right now. With her hips swaying in a licentious manner, as usual, Valentina walks towards me. I notice she has full combat equipment on - she has to know I'm up to something and she came to stop me. Maybe I managed to fool her for a while with my heartbreaking scene, but she couldn't have lost her distrust completely.

I give it one more try. "Just wanted to try out driving."

Her stone-hard eyes tell me the game is over. "People accuse me of lying and manipulating others while it's you, Isaiah, who is the fakest here. I almost believed you. Almost started to regret the assassination attempt I ordered. But, sadly for you, there's the word almost."

I give her a slight smirk. "I was being fake until now. Now I will show you who I really am."

"It's all because of her, isn't it?" she spits out. "I can't express how disappointed I am in you. I thought you are like me. That you would never sacrifice our goals and future to sentimental values such as love or friendship. But now I see it clearly. You're not like me."

"You're not wrong, and I thank God for that."

"So, does it mean you are trying to escape? To leave my fortress in one car? You are a traitor, Isaiah, but at least a stupid one. You don't expect you will succeed here, do you?"