chapter.16

daisy

The two nights without Seth were miserable. Daisy realised she was much more in love with him than she thought she was or ever expected to be.

Despite Dave telling her what had happened to get him into isolation, she still felt completely clueless about the whole situation. She didn't know what it was like, how he was being treated and if he was ok with the battering the prison officer gave him.

Her stomach churned at the thought of him rotting in a cold empty prison cell with only his own pee to drink.

A part of her had forgotten how temperamental Seth was. He was calm and collected, moody and silent, and most importantly he contained his urge for brutal fist fights in front of her.

Rather than being scared or put off by his violent behaviour, a behaviour she was in no way exposed to before meeting him, Daisy just felt worried. It didn't make her love him any less and in a strange way she felt protective for the man that could easily protect himself.

"Please be ok, please be ok, please be ok." She muttered quietly to herself like a mantra, pacing around the room anxiously as her dainty fingers twisted together in a nervous habit.

Daisy closed her eyes tightly in hopes of making the flashing images of all the worst possible scenarios disappear from her mind.
Then she heard the sudden jingle of keys hitting each other as they swung, accompanied by loud echoing steps. She jolted at the sound and ran to the metal bars, nearly tripping over her own two feet in her hurry.

Seth was looking down at his dirty, white trainers, clearly avoiding her eyes as she gasped loudly at the sight of him. Despite his efforts to hide his face from her, Daisy could see the bruises painting his face with a painful looking brown, green and purple.

She dreaded to see the full extent to his injuries when just a glimpse caused tears. Nevertheless, it didn't stop her from reaching out to touch him through the metal bars.

"Mind your hands, Daisy." Her hand jumped back as the voice startled her.

Too focused on her boyfriend, she didn't notice Dave was standing behind him with a solemn looking expression.

"Open at 101" The prison officer said through his walkie talkie. The cell doors opened promptly afterwards, while Seth still hadn't looked up from his worn out shoes.

"Seth? Are you ok? I-Is he going to be ok?" Daisy asked with wide eyes to the men.

Seth had his hands in front of him, both wrists restrained in metal handcuffs. He walked into the cell while blatantly ignoring her question. Regardless of his injuries, he held no limp and kept his usual stance strong and proud. Or he at least tried to. Daisy could see something was bothering him as he ground his teeth together and kept his fists clenched.

"He's going to be fine. Maria checked him out and said rest is all he needs. No more fights would help," Dave said with a pointed look at Seth, before unlocking the restraints from him. But, Seth ignored him and as soon as the cuffs were off, he walked past Daisy and practically threw himself on the bed with an exhausted sigh and his head barely missing the metal frames.

Daisy looked at her boyfriend in confusion but turned to the prison officer that was already leaving. "Bye Dave," Daisy said quietly with a slight wave. He responded with a nod before leaving them with the cell doors closing behind him.

Tentatively, the more than bewildered girl began to approach Seth but in the end, the panic Daisy was trying, and failing, to hide escaped and she ran to his side.

Even when she climbed over him and planted her bottom on his stomach and her hands on his cheeks, he didn't open his eyes.

"Seth. Sethy. Seth. Are you asleep?" She whispered, though she knew he wasn't from his tensed muscles. "Answer me," she dragged out, patting his cheeks lightly.