I think I was someone's imaginary friend

Almost everyone has an imaginary friend growing up, myself included. We create someone with our mind to fill the void when no one else is around. I didn't have any friends when I was younger, so I made a fair share of imaginary friends to play with. Eventually I did make friends though, and with that I stopped making up fake ones.

Recently however, I've been having the strangest dreams. I work graveyard shifts, so I sleep through most of the day time. These dreams were some of the most lucid I've ever experienced.

I was on a farm somewhere. I looked around and saw a barn in one direction, and a wood house in the other. Before I could decide where to explore I was greeted by a voice.

"Who are you?" It was a small boy, maybe 5 or 6 years old.

"Who am I? This is my world." I responded.

"Are you god?"

"In a way I guess so."

"Momma tells me about you all the time. I'm Vince! You probably already knew that though. Do you want to play with me God?"

This certainly was a strange dream, but perhaps it was me trying to make up for some lost childhood experiences or something. I would just go with the flow for now.

"Sure." I responded.

I spent most of the dream playing hide and seek with Vince. It had been ages since I had played hide and seek, and I actually found myself enjoying it. The farm was massive so there were plenty of places to hide. Vince was young though, so I had to pick easier spots for him.

Eventually the sun began to set, and I still hadn't woken up. So, Vince insisted that I go to meet his mother. We entered the house together.

"Momma, I met God today!" Vince yelled as he ran to greet his mother.

"That's great sweetie, I told you that you would eventually." The woman that Vince had ran to responded.

"Momma, he's right here with us. Can't you see him?"

"He's always with us Vince, but we just can't always see him."

"She can't see me?" I said.

Before Vince could respond I was overwhelmed by a new noise. It was my alarm clock. Time to get ready for work.

I spent most of my day thinking about how strange the dream was. It had just felt too realistic. I also wondered why only Vince had been able to see me. Was I actually Vince in the dream, and I was just there so he wouldn't be alone?

Once I got off work the next morning, I went to bed actually hoping I would find myself in the same dream again.

Luckily enough, I did.

I found myself on the same farm. I saw Vince instantly this time. He was off swinging a stick around like it was a sword.

"Hello Vince, what are you up to today?" I said.

"God you're back! Momma got real angry with me after you left yesterday. She didn't believe we played together! Momma and Daddy are upstairs right now. It's one of their special days, so I'm not allowed in the house until they come to get me." Vince replied.

This poor child. He had been thrown out of his home so his parents could get some alone time, and most likely do some other activities.

"Well I'm here for you Vince, do you want to play hide and seek again?"

Upon saying this Vince instantly dropped his stick, covered his eyes, and began counting. I took this opportunity to slip away to find a hiding spot.

We played hide and seek for a while, but eventually I got bored of it. I wanted to test the limits of my dream. I noticed a grill in Vince's yard, and next to it was a lighter and some gasoline.

Once Vince found me, I already had an idea brewing.

"Vince I want you to do something. First I want you to spread that gas around your house." I instructed.

"If I do that Daddy will get angry though! He said I'm not supposed to touch his stuff." Vince said worriedly.

"It's fine, didn't I tell you this is my world? Your parents left you alone, and they won't find out anyway."

Vince seemed unsure for a second, but eventually he picked up the gas container and began to release it around the home. Once he made a full lap I gave him his next instruction.

"Now, take this lighter and use it on where you started the trail." I told him.

Vince clearly knew what he was doing was wrong, but he didn't disobey me. He picked up the lighter and moved towards the home. This was all just a dream anyway right? No one would actually be hurt. I just wanted to see what would happen.

Vince lit the gas, and the fire took off. He ran back to where I was standing and watched with me. The wooden house didn't stand a chance against the flames. The fire was beautiful in a way.

I wasn't able to watch the conclusion however. I was once again woken up by my incredibly annoying alarm. Man, I hate my job.

A few weeks went by, and I didn't experience the dream again. I had other dreams, but I never went back to the farm. This disappointed me in a way. Had I ruined it with the flames? Perhaps I had taken my dark fantasy a bit too far and ruined it.

That was until a co-worker approached me at work one day.

"You wanna hear a crazy story?" He said.

"Shoot." I responded. I was bored out of my mind, so I was interested.

"Well, I saw in the news there was this kid who burned down his house. Both his parents were inside too, they didn't make it out. The kid claimed that God told him do it."

"Are you serious? That is crazy." This seemed a bit too familiar, but it had to just be a coincidence right?

"That's not even the best part! They didn't just find the bodies of the parents. Apparently Mommy and Daddy had been busy, because they found 5 other bodies in the house. They are pretty sure they were all missing people."

"That's insane! Would you by any chance happen to know what the kid's name was?" I asked.

"Yeah! The internet is calling him "Savior Vincent."