Chapter Nineteen

Note: Thanks so much to arianedevere.livejournal. A lot of this chapter required direct transcription from the episode and this saved me a lot of gruelling hours.
Sherlock's best man speech is almost completely a transcription, so please feel free to skip the speech if you wish!

III

It had been weeks since the nights out that had left everybody feeling worse for wear. Margaux had noticed a shift since that night. A change in dynamic. In the weeks that followed, Sherlock would speak to her as if she were an acquaintance, keeping conversation shallow and polite. When they would come together, it was evident that his focus was Vaughan. He would come to her flat, he would spend time with his son and then he would leave. At first it seemed as though he had simply forgotten how to interact with other people, but it wasn't long before she noticed that she was the only one receiving the brunt of his cold, distant regard.

John and Sherlock stood near the entrance of the church. It was a warm, bright Spring day. The blossom tree had shed soft pink petals across the grounds in the gentle breeze, and there was a hum of excitement as the guests arrived, congratulating John with a handshake or a hug, before heading inside. Margaux and Vaughan climbed out of a taxi and made their way down the path of the church. She was wearing a pale blue dress that nipped in at her waist and flowed to just below her knees, the sleeves were long and sheer with delicate floral embroidery, and her hair was loosely pinned at the nape of her neck. Vaughan was wearing a suit, specially made to match the groomsmen, even down to the small grey top hat on his head. Sherlock picked him up, asking him questions about his suit, while Margaux gave John a hug.

"I won't ask if you're nervous because that's a stupid question." She smiled.

John nodded with a laugh. Margaux glanced up at Sherlock who was concentrating on their son. Purposely ignoring her.

"I'll leave him with you until you're ready to come in," she said. "Congratulations, John." She smiled, giving him a kiss on the cheek and venturing inside the church to find a seat.

The ceremony was beautiful. An aura of love and happiness surrounded the couple as they were pronounced husband and wife. They ran outside hand-in-hand to the sound of wedding bells, the guests circling the path, cheering and clapping for them. They stood together smiling for photographs, John in his smart suit, Mary glowing and ethereal in her gown. Margaux placed confetti in Vaughan's hand and they threw it together as John and Mary stepped into the middle of the crowd. She watched as Sherlock and Janine stood together for photographs. Taking note of the way Janine leaned in to talk to him. She wondered what they were saying.

"The famous Mr Holmes," said Janine. "I'm very pleased to meet you. But no sex, okay?"

Sherlock's eyes widened. "Um, sorry?"

Janine let out a laugh. "You don't have to look so scared. I'm only messing. Bridesmaid, Best Man... It's a bit traditional." She punched his arm playfully.

He grimaced. "Is it?"

"But not obligatory."

"If that's the sort of thing you're looking for... the man over there in the blue is your best bet. Recently divorced doctor with a ginger cat. A barn conversion... And a history of erectile dysfunction." He blinked as he assessed his observations. "Reviewing that information, possibly not your best bet."

"Yeah, maybe not."

"Sorry, there was one more deduction there than I was expecting."

"Mr Holmes," she began, taking his arm. "You're going to be incredibly useful."

III

The reception venue was a pretty country hall surrounded by gardens and stone fountains. The walls were laced in ivy, the tall arched windows painted white, allowing light to pour in from outside. Sherlock, John and Mary stood outside greeting the guests as they arrived. Being pleasant was laborious, how did people manage to be like that all the time, Sherlock thought.