Chapter 20

She was screaming like a banshee, no longer using words when her door burst open.

A madwoman started yelling, "Get the hell off her you bastard!"

She was followed by Todd who was able to pull him off. He was bleeding, but Wendy was worse. She found herself in the arms of a woman who she didn't recognize at first. Once her brain started working she realized she was the wife of the doctor who helped her when she hurt her ankle.

She stared stunned as Todd dragged him out of her home. Once he was gone she started crying uncontrollably.

Nora was going to buy some fish when she heard the screams coming from above Evan's. Instinct took over and she screamed to Lorraine Blake coming out of the market. "Get Todd!" As she ran up the stairs, she never thought about what she was running into. Her adrenaline was pumping.

That man was on top of the poor girl and Nora just started screaming. Thankfully Todd arrived. Nora took the poor thing in her arms while she shook and cried, but her clinical brain was thinking she needed ice and perhaps medical treatment.

Slowly her body began to calm and her sobs began to form words. Nora wasn't comprehending and asked her to repeat.

"Harry. I need Harry."

"Who is Harry?" Nora asked not knowing anyone on The Point by that name.

"My husband." She cried.

It took control for Nora not to show her shock in her expression. She saw a phone and asked, "Do you want to call him or should I?"

"If I can stand, I will."

Nora helped her to her feet. "Are you hurt other than your face?"

"I don't know." She sobbed.

With shaky fingers, she pressed the numbers and found her voice as she said, "Harry Clark, please... his wife. Harry!" The tears were back as she said, "I need you... a man..."

Nora could hear him through the line and took the phone. "Mr. Clark, a man attacked your wife. I think she's alright, but she needs you."

Nora listened in disbelief as he pleaded, "Make sure she's alright. She's pregnant! I'm in Portland, but I'm on my way."

Nora turned to Wendy and said, "He's coming. He's worried about you and your baby."

Wendy cried in agony. "I can't lose this one too!"

Nora was speechless, as she felt the tears fall. She had judged a woman who shared her same pain. When she found her voice, she said, "I'm a doctor too and I'm not going to leave until Harry is here and I know you're alright."

Nora didn't know what she expected, but it wasn't a man wearing a nice suit. She watched, as Wendy fell into his arms. Nora didn't know why Wendy had been living alone all summer, but it was obvious they loved each other. She could also conclude the mysterious visitor was Harry. When she heard baby, she panicked as to whose it was, but the answer was quite clear.

Harry looked at Nora. "What happened to her?"

Just as Nora was about to respond a female police officer knocked on the door. It took some time before the entire story was told and Nora was emotionally drained when she finally left to walk home.

Todd Evans dragged Andy off of Wendy with a strength he didn't know he had. As he pushed the lobsterman down the stairs his niece, Lynn was standing outside the market.

"Lynn call 911 and tell them we need police. There's been an assault." His voice was calmer than he felt. A small crowd had already gathered and he tried to ignore them.

"Let go of me!" Andy demanded. "It wasn't what it looked like."

"Tell that to the cops."

"I'm not sticking around for no cops!" Andy argued.

"You are if I have anything to say." Todd insisted.

One of the men watching stepped forward, "I'm Boston PD. I'll hold him for you."

Todd went back inside to check on Lynn. She was alone since Wendy couldn't work and he'd have to deal with the police. He quickly called his house, but no one answered, so he called Judy's cell phone.

When she answered, he said abruptly, "I need help here. Find Maddie and send her over."

Maddie hated working at the market so he rarely made her, but she knew how. She preferred babysitting and earned her spending money that way.

Maddie arrived on her bike just after the police. She didn't ask what was going on nor did she look at him. He didn't care if she was upset she had to work. She'd get over it.

He spent a long time answering the officer's questions. A female officer had gone to see Wendy. A long while later a man in a suit escorted Wendy down the stairs.

She quietly said, "They want me to get checked at hospital."

Todd hadn't seen the cop in the suit arrive, but he was taking good care of Wendy as he helped her into his car.

When the last of the police finally started to leave, he asked, "Was that a detective with her?"

The woman officer answered, "No, that's her husband."

Maybe she wouldn't need a divorce after all