Chapter Four

Lady Wrotham's shoulders stiffened at the sound of Julian's voice. Being caught didn't seem to faze her. Not once did she glance back at him while he spoke. Her immobility only seemed to anger him further.

The large windows in the library had framed Lady Wrotham's tryst as if she were an actress on stage. Julian had seen it all. Fist clenching and unclenching at his side, he awaited her answer.

"You may stop asking that question," Lady Wrotham addressed the landscape before her. "It was but a singular indiscretion, and I hope never to lay eyes on their father again." Proclamation uttered, she descended the stairs, then walked the opposite direction the footman had gone.

Confronted with another example of his unfaithful wife's nerve, Julian's jaw tightened. With a swift motion, he jerked on the bottom of his coat, then followed her. He was not willing to let her have the last word and end the discussion. Especially not after having witnessed her tête-à-tête with a servant. Passing love notes and trinkets in the light of day? After he'd ordered her to end things with her lover? Such behavior was too much to be borne.

"I did not give you leave to go." Julian reached forward and caught his adulterous wife by the elbow. Although his hold stopped her, she would not turn to look at him.

"Very well, say your piece," Lady Wrotham told the unkempt grounds before her. "But do be quick, as I have plans," she fairly spat.

Julian's teeth clenched tight. Did this distasteful woman not feel shame, he wondered? "At least do me the courtesy of looking at me when I speak." The words were forced past his locked jaw.

Slowly, Charity turned her head, then her body followed. Keeping her gaze away from Lord Wrotham's, she faced him. Her gaze landed somewhere over his right shoulder. She couldn't bring herself to meet the disgust she knew she would find etched on his features. It had been a constant expression she'd witnessed from afar these five days past.

Lord Wrotham's rough treatment of Charity stung. It was unfair. How she wished she could tell him the truth. But she couldn't. Not if she wanted to be free of him and keep her daughters.

"Better," Julian murmured even though Lady Wrotham still would not look him in the eye. As her intriguing green-gold eyes were sparking with anger, he felt the wisest course was not to push her for more.

Dropping Lady Wrotham's arm, Julian moved back a few steps. He didn't want to find her eyes fascinating. There was nothing about her person to recommend her, he firmly told himself.

"Now," Julian continued sharply, "allow me to be more clear. You will cease all extramarital activities." The last two words were clipped and precise. There was no room for misinterpreting his orders.

"Jimmy is not the father of my daughters," Lady Wrotham interrupted hotly.

"Or so you believe?" It occurred to Julian his wife could have taken more than one lover.

Charity rolled her eyes at Lord Wrotham's inane suggestion. Jimmy only had eyes for Emma. Besides, he hadn't been employed at Shepridge End until after the twins were born.

"You will not have secret assignations with your lovers," Julian snapped having witnessed Lady Wrotham's rude gesture. "It ends. Now." When his wife shook her head at him, Julian bit out, "Yes, madam. No more love letters passed, or trinkets of affection given."

"Love letters and trinkets?" Charity repeated incredulously.

Julian reached down to reveal the damning proof Lady Wrotham denied having. He was finished with her betrayal and lies. From the window, he'd witness her hiding the gift from the footman in her skirts. When a wooden duck and a small rag doll tumbled onto the grass, he couldn't help but blink at them stupidly.