Chapter Six

Elly gazed a long moment at the framed selfie of she and Brandon. Taken at Times Square their first New Year's Eve together, they looked ecstatic, high on new love and wine, with confetti in their hair. Hard to believe three years later they wouldn't even be speaking. She set the photo in the cardboard box containing the last of her personal items. After another glance around her desk, she closed the box's lid.

She ran into Duncan when she exited her office.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Yeah." She looked around the dimmed, silent cubicles. "Not really."

"You'll find something. You all will."

Elly gave a small smile. "Easy for you to say. All you have to worry about is which retirement community has the best golf course."

He returned her smile as they headed toward the front lobby. "You mean tennis courts. Joanne says if we're moving to Florida she's going to get serious about improving her backswing."

Elly's coffee mugs clinked with each step. She tilted the box to quiet them. "Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy it. You deserve a happy retirement."

"It'll be a new adventure. At least that's what Joanne keeps telling me." Duncan turned off the last of the lights and they stepped out the office door.

As Duncan locked it, Elly looked through the window at the darkened lobby. "I really liked working here," she said.

Duncan gave a nod. "The end of an era." He glanced at the keys in his open palm before clamping his fingers over them and sticking them in his pants pocket. "It's still hard to believe Wayne's gone. I keep expecting to hear him yell my name, asking if I brought doughnuts." His forehead creased. "I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Retiring instead of buying the business, keeping it going."

"You have to do what's best for you. And Joanne."

"Even if it throws the rest of you in the street?"

"Almost everyone else has leads on new jobs. I'm just unlucky."

"Not unlucky. Just haven't found the right place for you, is all. But you will. And when you do, be sure to use me as a reference. I'll give you a glowing recommendation."

"Thanks." Elly smiled with appreciation. She would miss Duncan's encouragement and gentle redirection. His affable manner had always reminded her of her dad.

He turned toward the elevator bay, and Elly followed. Duncan punched the call button then indicated the box in her hands. "You need a ride home?"

"I'm fine."

"You're fine," he repeated with a hint of skepticism. "I'm going to spring for a cab anyway. Least I can do for my favorite employee."

"Keep flattering me like that and I'll follow you to Florida."

Duncan chuckled. "I'd have some explaining to do if you did." They entered the elevator and he looked at her in seriousness. "Maybe you should. You'd make a great activities director. I can see you organizing shuffle board and bingo games for all the old farts."

"Hey, you're about to be one of those old farts."

"I am, aren't I?" He lifted his head as if to consider that. Then he shook his head. "There it is again. That nagging doubt I'm doing the wrong thing."

"Don't tell me that. If you don't know what you're supposed to do with the rest of your life, what chance do I have?"

"You have an entire world of possibilities."