Weeds Aren't Daisies

My mother used to tell me,

"Weeds aren't daisies" I never knew what it meant until now.

I would try and do good for the world and be a great person and she would say,

"Come on now Eva, Weeds aren't daises." She was right. Even the most broken person cannot be perfect. It even applies to my father, but she wanted to pretend he wouldn't hurt a fly.

Even when he hurt every single person in his path.

He hurt me. That wasn't enough for her to do something and stop it.

I decided to leave Colby by himself. I can't bring him down with me. What if he gets hurt, or worse killed.

When we go back I tell him.

"Colby, I know you want to protect me. I just can't let you do that." He shakes my head.

"I will protect you whether you want me to or not. I love you." He
wraps his arms around me.

"Colby, I know you want to protect me. I can't have you killed. My dad is out for blood. Specifically mine. You need to stay where you can't get hurt." I start packing my clothes in my suitcases.

"What are you trying to say? Are you leaving?" He says, hurt.

"I am leaving. If they don't protect me I won't have you do it.  It is not your job." He shakes his head.

"It's part of a relationship being there when they need you there most. Just, please don't leave me Eva. I am here for you. Your dad is dangerous. I know that you want to die. You shouldn't die by the hands of your father." I stare at the floor.

I'm about to leave but he takes my arm.

"Eva you don't have to do this. I love you. I love you so much. Stay safe with me." He was on his knees now. He looked like he was tearing up. It's making it harder to move on.

I kiss him one last time.

"Let me handle this. He is a dead man just watch." I say. I am going to get my revenge.

He knows he can't stop me. So he doesn't argue anymore.

"Stay safe. When you feel it's time, come home." I smile and kiss his forehead.

"I love you Colby." I say opening the door walking out.

The plan is to learn how to fight. This will help me have to advantage. This considering, I know all the moves he would pull during the time he abused me.

My friend knows a couple people.
I won't inform her on too much of my plan. I want her to stay safe as well.

I go to a payphone. I knew her number by heart. She was always wanting to help. Her mother likes me thank God.

"Hey Yvette, I need your help." I say twisting the payphone cord around my finger.

"Yeah, anything." She says.

I wait there for her. She picks me up in her Silver Toyota Corolla.

"So, I know a guy, he can help you. I took his self defense classes. He is really helpful and understanding." She says.

"How much are the classes? I have the money for it-"

"It's free. You're a friend of mine. He will understand the situation. For now you need rest. You can rest at my house." I put my hand on hers.

"Thank you for this. If I let Colby get involved-" She looked at me shocked.

"Colby? The asshole who beat you for years? The asshole who made you question whether you should keep living or not?"

"He's not like that anymore. He loves me. He doesn't lay a finger on me in a way I would not want." She grips the wheel tighter.

"Well the Colby I know is different. He caused my friend pain. Made you miserable. That is the Colby that is on my shit list." She says through her teeth.

I understand where she is coming from. She has a right to be mad. He was terrible to me.

I am gonna learn to fight even the most skilled coward fathers.

He will not win.