Chapter 5

Connor and I had just sat back down when Dad arrived. He took one irritated look at Connor and started grumbling, "Ah, Jesus!"

"Hey, be nice," I scolded.

Connor looked at me for a moment, "You have an unusual relationship with the Lieutenant," he noted.

"Well, I would think so," I stated, "he is my father and my partner."

He looked a bit surprised, well as surprised as an android can be. He blinked and his LED flashed yellow while he processed the information, "I'm sorry, I hadn't made that connection."

I shrugged as Captain Jeffery Fowler stuck his head out of his office, "Hank! (y/n)! In my office."

Dad and I walked into his office followed by Connor. Fowler sat back in his chair and Connor shut the glass door behind us. "I've got ten new cases involving androids on my desk every day. We've always had isolated incidents, old ladies loosing their android maids and that kind of crap," Fowler began.

"But now we're getting reports of assaults and homicides, like that guy last night... This isn't just CyberLife's problem anymore. It's now a criminal investigation and we've gotta deal with it before shit hits the fan. I want you two to investigate these cases and see if there's any links."

"Why us?" Dad asked, "Why do we gotta be the ones to deal with this shit? I am the least qualified cop in the country to handle this case! I know jack shit about androids, Jeffrey! I can barely change the settings on my own phone..."

"Everybody's overloaded. I think you're perfectly qualified for this type of work," Fowler said raising his voice.

Dad got to his feet, "Bullshit! The truth is nobody wants to investigate these fuckin' androids and you left me and (y/n) holdin' the bag!"

"CyberLife sent over Connor to help with investigation," I added trying to be helpful, "He's a state-of-the-art prototype. He can help."

Bad idea, it got him even more riled up, "No fuckin' way! We don't need another partner, and certainly not this plastic prick!"

"Hank, you are seriously starting to piss me off!" Fowler shouted, "YOU are a police lieutenant, you are supposed to do what I say and shut your goddamn mouth!"

"You know what my goddamn mouth has to say, huh?" Dad retorted.

"Okay, Okay... I'll pretend like I didn't here that, so I don't have to add any more pages to your disciplinary folder 'cause it already looks like a fuckin' novel! This conversation is over!"

"Jeffrey, Jesus Christ! Why are you doing this to me? You know how much I hate these fuckin' things. Why you doin' this to me?"

I cast a sympathetic look at Connor who could hear every one of my father's venom drenched words. "Listen, I've had enough of your bitching. Either you do your job or you hand in your badge. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a job to do," Fowler turned back to his computer.

Dad stormed out of the room. I strayed behind a little to try apologizing for his behavior, "I'm sorry about him, Captain."

Fowler sighed, "You're a good cop, (y/n). I trust you'll keep your father in line.

"Of course," I replied with an obedient nod. I gestured for Connor to follow me back to my desk.

Dad was sitting in his chair crossing his arms and looking very pissed off. Connor also sensed this, "I get the impression my presence causes you some inconvenience, Lieutenant. I'd like you to know I'm very sorry about that."

Dad said nothing. Connor continued with a professional smile, "In any case, I'd like you to know I'm very happy to be working with you and your daughter. I'm sure we'll make a great team."

Still getting no reply, Connor turned to me and asked, "Is there a desk anywhere I could use?"

I gestured to the desk beside mine and across from Dad's, "No one's using this one."

Connor sat down and attempted to make smalltalk with us, mostly Dad, "You have a dog, right?"

Dad looked taken aback, "How did you know that?"

"The dog hairs on your chair. I like dogs. What's your dog's name?"

"What's it to you? ...Sumo. I call him Sumo," Dad replied reluctantly.

Connor focused on me, "You also have a dog, right?"

"Yes I do," I answered, "it's not the same dog though, I don't live with Dad anymore."

"Do you listen to Knights of the Black Death?" Connor asked, "I really like that music. It's full of energy."

The comment caught both of us off guard, "You listen to Heavy Metal?"

"Well, I don't really listen to music as such," Connor admitted, "But I'd like to."

"You're a Detroit Gears fan, right? Denton Carter scored 53% of his shots from the three point line yesterday. Did you see the game?"

Dad gave Connor a slight glare, "That's what I was watching at the bar last night."

He looked a little dejected, "Oh..." Connor was quiet for a few moments, "Do you like them, Detective?"

"Um, I'm not really into sports, but I do like (team name)."

(A/N: If you don't like sports you can make up a team name. Personally, my favorite sport is hockey and my favorite team is the Toronto Maple Leaves (^.^).)

He tried changing the subject, "Have you known Captain Fowler for long?"

"Yeah... too long," Dad cast a look at Fowler through the glass.

"If you have any files on deviants, I'd like to take a look at them..."

I pointed at the screen in front of the android, "The terminal is on your desk."

Connor focused on his screen while Dad and I went back to our work. It was only a few minutes before he spoke again, "243 files... The first dates back nine months... It all started in Detroit... And quickly spread across the country... An AX400 is reported to have assaulted a man last night. That could be a good starting point for our investigation."

He stood up and approached Dad. Dad avoided his gaze and pretended the android wasn't there. "I know you didn't ask for this investigation, Lieutenant, but I'm sure you're a professional," Connor said trying to reason with him.

"Why don't you go fuck yourself?" Dad snapped. I got up and started to approach them, knowing things could get out of hand with how Dad is acting.

"I've been assigned this mission, Lieutenant. I didn't come here to wait until you feel like working."

Dad stood up and grabbed Connor's jacket. He slammed him against the wall. "Hey! Hey!" I shouted in surprise and tried to pull Dad off the android.

"Listen, asshole. If it was up to me, I'd throw the whole lot of you in a dumpster and set a match to it. So, stop pissing me off... or things are gonna get nasty," Dad hissed.

"Lieutenant..." the sound of Chris' voice made Dad let go of Connor's jacket, "Uh, sorry yo disturb you... I have some information on that AX400 that attacked that guy last night. It's been spotted in the Ravendale district."

"We're on it," Dad growled in response. He gave a last glare at Connor before storming off.

I gave him an uneasy apologetic smile, "I"m sorry about him. He... he really doesn't like androids. But I'm sure he'll warm up to you in time."