Epilogue

14 years later

The moon shone diligently to light up the streets of a quieting Nottingham. It was awfully cold, even for a winter's night. The streets were empty, for people had long fled into houses, restaurants and pubs. Nobody stayed outside for too long. Not unless they didn't have a choice.

Jena Bates did have a choice. On her way home from work, she Apparated a few blocks down from her flat. She strolled through the streets of Nottingham, her hand unconsciously brushing over the burning Mark on her left arm, in an attempt to soothe it. It had been burning for a while now. It worried her. She knew something was wrong, yet her old headteacher hadn't reached out to her yet.

She sighed, continuing her walk. For now, she'd focus on her job. If ever he did reach out, it was important to have her work at the Ministry to fall back on. To use as a cover. Jena Bates worked for the Obliviator Headquarters. She had specifically chosen this department. It was the perfect cover, if ever she was found Obliviating someone who knew too much. It also meant she had become an expert at the spell, perfected it. She knew exactly how to Obliviate very specific memories from someone's mind, if ever it was needed.

Someday, it would be needed.

Besides, working at the Ministry, at the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes, gave her a chance to keep an eye on her best friend Hani, who worked for the Muggle-Worthy Excuses Committee.

Jena had nearly reached her flat, when she spotted movement from the corner of her eye. She gazed upward and a grin bloomed on her face when she spotted the owl. The tawny owl hooted as it flew over her head and dropped an envelope from its beak. She caught it in the air and turned it over to find a familiar curly scribbling of her name on the front. Without even opening the letter, she Disapparated.

Once she'd made her way all the way up the path, Dumbledore welcomed her at the door.

"Ah, miss Bates, how good of you to get here so quickly."

He turned and she followed him up the stairs to his office. Once the office door was securely shut behind them, she spoke up.

"I figured you'd reach out," she said. "I'm sure Snape has felt it, too."

The old man bowed his head. "He has, indeed."

"It's finally time, then," said Jena, her heart pounding in her chest, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

"It seems so," said Dumbledore, eying her curiously. "There have been strange things happening for several years now. Ever since Mr Potter arrived here, actually. I can deny it no longer." He paused, passing her a grave look. "Voldemort is returning, miss Bates. We need you."

No longer could she stop the smile from spreading across her face. Finally.

"Don't worry, sir," she said. "I am more than ready."