03

esperanza held a small scowl on her face, as she sent daggers cesar's way.

the boy finally looked away, only to yawn and lose his grip on jamal, leaving espy to hold on as tight as she could.

let's just say that jamal fell in the box completely and lost his pants in the process.

"my pants! what the hell!" jamal screamed from inside.

"shit," monse cursed, "someone's coming. we got to hide. jamal we'll be right back,"

the three ran to hid behind one of the boxes, as a car begun to pull up in front of the blue bins.

"shit! jamal's pinche zapatos!" esperanza cursed softly as she glanced around the last bin, watching as the man took both jamal's pants, backpack, and shoes.

espy was the first to leave their hiding spot, seeing jamal crawl out quickly from the bin, his gym bag strap clasped in his hand.

"esta bien?" esperanza asked, going and checking out the boy for any cuts or bruises, before quickly giving him a hug, "also sorry about your shoes,"

"what?" he yelled, glaring at monse and cesar as they walked up to the pair.

"how'd you get out so fast?" monse asked, as she walked next to jamal, who now wore her jacket around his waist.

"a magician doesn't reveal his secrets," jamal replied, "especially to traitors– except you, espy,"

"awe, j," esperanza cooed, sending a smile to him.

"we're sorry," cesar said from his spot next to espy.

"yeah, clearly not sorry enough," jamal added,

"and clearly, you haven't learned about abandonment, because you didn't watch my back or my sneaks. you had one job!"

"we all actually had two," esperanza mumbled loud enough for jamal to hear.

"okay, i'm looking for results, not excuses," jamal finished.

"yeah, yeah, yeah," monse brushed off, "let's see it,"

"no," jamal said as he grabbed his bag back, "you don't get to see my money!"

"you mean, our money?" monse shot back.

"jamal found it, monse," esperanza spoke up for the taller boy, as she snatched the cash back, again.

"and then he lost it," cesar stepped up.

"and we helped you find it again," monse finished.

"it's not your money," jamal exclaimed, "give it back!"

a fake look of surprise covered monse's face at how jamal replied to the situation, before she said,

"fine. then give me back my hoodie,"

without hesitation, jamal took the clothing off, before tossing it back at monse. esperanza shook her head, knowing what was going to happen next.