Chapter 22

Most votes from the previous chapter go to Hayden! Here's a little chapter about his past. It might be surprising to most of you, though. (;

Don't forget to comment about what you think, and vote!

Chapter 22

Hayden’s Point of View

                A gorgeous red head sat across the room from where I was, a dazed and distant look in her emerald green eyes. She always had this tough, overly confident exterior about her, but deep inside her sharp, cat-liked eyes, I knew that she was broken.

                And who broke her, you may ask?

                Me.

                I was the boy that crushed and ruined who Aubrey Small once was. Aubrey used to be sweetest girl I knew, even crying when she accidentally stepped on an ant when we were younger. The two of knew each other when we were just kids, not even starting the first grade yet. I remember her coming over to my house everyday as a child, because our mothers were the best of friends. I still remember how she use to hide behind her mother’s leg, cheeks turning the same color as her dark gingered hair.

                The two of us grew up together, and I even knew her longer than I’ve known Alex. I’ve always loved her in a way more than a friend should, but I never thought she felt the same way. But in the seventh grade, Alex finally urged me to ask out one of my best friends, the girl of my dreams.

                I can still remember how wide my smile was when she said yes.

                We went out for two years, and I actually thought that she was the one that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

                Aubrey Small was my everything.

                That’s why I’ll never forget the day I completely betrayed her.

                Just the summer before we started to go to the ninth grade, a few of Alex’s and my older friends introduced us into the world of alcohol and weed. So, just a week before high school started, Daniel Reynolds’ threw a big back to school party at his house. Aubrey was hesitant to come, because it was going to be her first party without parents and with beer and weed. I assured her that I would be by her side the entire time, watching out for her.

                But things got caught up too quickly, and everything was moving just a little too fast.

                Two hours after the party started, I was completely drunk and wasted. Aubrey was no longer by my side, and I was upstairs, shirtless with Tammy Pine.

                The door suddenly barged open, as Aubrey stood by the doorway, eyes watery. I’ll never forget the look in those beautiful, glassy green eyes, so full of hurt, betrayal and pain.

                I caused all of those emotions.

                Before I could roll off of Tammy and chase after my girl, she was already long gone. I remember rushing out of the room, trying to look for Aubrey. But by the time I searched the entire house, I knew she was gone. One stupid mistake, and my best friend and love of my life slipped out of my fingertips.

                And on the first day of school, Aubrey Small came back a different person.

                She was no longer that shy, innocent doll who got cheated on.